Always inspect your items as soon as you receive them....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvickj

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
I finally got a chance tonight after work to install my new XS3 into my Maxx. I break open the box and take the receiver out of the little bag only to find out that it is damaged. The antenna is only a foot long. The antenna looks like it was caught in a spur gear or something because there are several spots where bear wire is showing. The end of the antenna wire looks like it was hacked off with scissors. The seller stated that the item was brand new in box.

I just sent an e-mail to the seller to see what he wants to do about this. What do you guys think I should do? Do you think he should refund me $80 to cover the cost of a new receiver? Can this receiver be repaired with a new antenna?

I have tested the tx and rx and the two servos and they all seem to work OK, but I don't want to install them in my Maxx and loose communications and have a run away. I have a fail safe on the way to cover that.

Did the seller say it was in brand new condition in the box? I mean even if it's a new item in the box that does not mean it's in never used condition. You could get away with calling my savage new, out of the box the day it broke the dogbone because it was only 36 hours after I bought it. It's still new just not in totally new condition. While I would not do something like that to a person there are poeple who would. I unfortunately think Judge Whopner would side with the party that said it was new in box instead of the buyer.

See....to me "new in box " means never ever been run, played with, istalled, nothing. Its NEW.

Like when you buy a 1/1 car. As soon as you sign the paperwork it is no longer a NEW car. Even if you have never once inserted the key into the ignition. It is now a USED car. And probably instantly depreciated 10-20%

I would bitch him out and report him to Ebay

You could be able to get him kicked off E-bay. Was the auction as-is?

He should either refund it or replace it.

'New-In-Bpx' is brand new. Whopner is with you!

This is the sellers response

"This is how i bought the JR xs3 from a seller on ebay.
If you look at my feedback i think his ID was RCSHACK?
I have not used the Xs3, and i did not know there was
anything wrong with it."

I am going to be a little more firm in my next e-mail demanding for some type of answer to the problem. This is a link to the auction where this guy purchased the radio. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19168&item=3134739600

I am going to talk to thercshack and see what he has to say.

I am also going to contact JR and see if they can repair this receiver.

they will charge you for the repair. even if it was new, the damage was not done at the factory.

the easiest thing is to take the reciver apart and soder on a new antena wire. This assumes that you have the same gauge wire and a huge set of brass balls that clank when you walk.

seriously, if you don't want to pay for the repair, run it the way it is until the bashfest. (be sure to test your range) i'll bring my sodering gun and hook you up with some quality workmanship. We'd need a new antena wire though... Does anyone thats comming to the bashfest have a roasted reciever that we can steal the anenta wire from?

Thanks for the offer RobH. I will have to take you up on that. My soldiering experience is almost nonexistent.

For the time being I reinstalled the Traxxas radio gear because I am gonna do some bashing with a friend this weekend and the last thing I want is radio problems.

I might have an antenna wire I can swipe from an old radio setup. I might also know a friend who has a roasted receiver. Will soldiering on a new antenna wire be OK? I am assuming if I sent this into JR that is what they would do.

I also have a question about the RS300. I still plan on getting another receiver so I can use my XS3 with my NTC3. However every picture I have seen so far of the RS300 looks different than the one I have in my hand. The one I have has two little dials to adjust the frequency. The RS300 unit on HorizonHobby.com only has one. Any ideas on this?

the unit with only one dial is a 6 channel reciever. the two dial one is for the 30 channel (the one you have). it's possible they were too lazy to take a pic of the 30 channel reciever or some idiot didn't know ther were different. I would research model numbers and make damn sure I didn't but the 6 channel by accident.

any full length antena wire from any reciever you're willing to sacrifice will work fine. we just can't grab a piece of wire at the hardware store because it may be too thick to fit in the antena tube (god, i hate it when that happens).

don't be afraid to run the xs3 even with the short antena wire. it should work fine. have a friend hold the R/C in the air while you keep playing with the transmitter. then start walking away from it. as soon as the R/C freaks out, you've found the end of your range. just don't drive it that far away. it should be enough range to play with it.

-Rob

Last edited:
Originally posted by mcvickj
This is the sellers response

"This is how i bought the JR xs3 from a seller on ebay.
If you look at my feedback i think his ID was RCSHACK?
I have not used the Xs3, and i did not know there was
anything wrong with it."

I am going to be a little more firm in my next e-mail demanding for some type of answer to the problem. This is a link to the auction where this guy purchased the radio. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19168&item=3134739600

I am going to talk to thercshack and see what he has to say.

I am also going to contact JR and see if they can repair this receiver.

I need to clear this post up. I purchased the XS3 from aria_star. I did not purchase it from thercshack. The reason I said "I am going to talk to thercshack and see what he has to say" was I wanted to check with thercshack to see if he remembered selling the XS3 to aria_star. Thercshack had nothing to do with this sale.

The reason I am dragging up this post is at the request of an e-mail I received today from thercshack.

-JR

Originally posted by mcvickj

I need to clear this post up. I purchased the XS3 from aria_star. I did not purchase it from thercshack. The reason I said "I am going to talk to thercshack and see what he has to say" was I wanted to check with thercshack to see if he remembered selling the XS3 to aria_star. Thercshack had nothing to do with this sale.

The reason I am dragging up this post is at the request of an e-mail I received today from thercshack.

-JR

Not to even drudge this old post up even more but I was reading back and it was perfectly clear to me that you did not purchase the receiver from thercshack. So did you ever get the receiver fixed ?? LOL

sLY

Yes I did. One of the guys at Fields repaired it for me when I was out for the east coast bash.

receive

Mate.

U got Duped.

I don't want to state the obvious, but EBAY is known for that. You just dump ur crap stuff on the market. U don't even need to paste a picture for someone gullible enough to put in a bid.

Does this guy u bought off still have 100% positive feedback. I'd add something to his perfect score if i were u. People like him ruin the ebay market for those legitimate sellers just wanting to hook up with an eager buyer.

Also, i'd try and return it to him for the money back, otherwise u've just got to wear it, learn from ur mistake and do whatever you have to to as cheaply as possible get the unit working to your satisfaction.

I wonder if it ends up being worth it for you.

Watch out for unscupulous people.

Cheers.

The only damage to the XS3 was the antenna wire to the RX. After spending 5 bucks for a new wire I had it up and running. I love my XS3.

Originally posted by RobH

any full length antenna wire from any receiver you're willing to sacrifice will work fine.

don't be afraid to run the xs3 even with the short antenna wire. it should work fine.
-Rob

IMO,
Both sets of info are bad and should not be followed.

1) Different RXs have different gages and lengths of wire. You should only use the Proper length, wire type, gage, and strand count of your original wire.

2) The length of the wire has everything to do with proper performance of your radio system and should be full length all the time. If for some reason you loose an inch or so, you need to get it replaces before your next race / bash.

Originally posted by RobH

it should work fine.
-Rob

Should have,
Could have,
Would have,
OOPS!
Thanks for the advice!

This is not good advise.
-Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for the corrections Ed. You should have posted that months ago when he first started the topic. I believe JR had the hobby shop fix his antena before he came to the NY bash.

-Rob