aftershock not shifting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellfire_01

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey, how's it going. i just got into this hobby and got a aftershock.
just got done braking in the engine and i am having problems with the shifting.
my truck will not shift out of first of second gear. adj the slipper and shifting screws to factory specs and still will not shift. can anyone help me????????

I have seen this a lot, every A.S. LST owner I know has ran into this problem lately. Drill out the holes in the 2-speed clutch shoes just enough that the springs do not bind on the 2-speed adjuster screws. This fixes the problem 99% of the time. If not double check the adj. screws are exactly at stock specs. If still a no-go, you may have overheated the 2-speed clutch shoes and you need to replace them.
Once you get it to shift, leave it alone...lol. Everytime we mess with the shift points on my bud's, it quits shifting altogether.:surrender

try adjusting the slipper tighten it and back of 1/4 turn

When an rc with a 2 speed won't shift right after break in 9 out of 10 times it's because the engine is not tuned properly...Tune engine.

The next thing to do would be adjust the shift point...read manual, it's very easy.

If it still doesn't shift call Horizon, you never want to modify anything while it's still pretty new, if you modify they will not replace it!

When an rc with a 2 speed won't shift right after break in 9 out of 10 times it's because the engine is not tuned properly...Tune engine.

The next thing to do would be adjust the shift point...read manual, it's very easy.

If it still doesn't shift call Horizon, you never want to modify anything while it's still pretty new, if you modify they will not replace it!

Agreed, until the engine is fully broke in and tuned it won't shift. Don't rush the break in, leave it on the rich side for at least half a gallon. The engine will be a lot better for it. Then you can start leaning out and get a good tune, then it will shift.

from smaxxin and ardv8 tuning is most likely your issue not shifting usually meams you running a bit rich which is good for the first few tanks because your running cool and your engine is being lubed really good, but you want to get it past that in the higher stages so you can apply some heat to fully break in the engine, and shifting problems on many of the monster trucks I've ever worked on or ran has to do with running to rich to shift into second...

He said in his first post he was done with breaki-in, not that I disagree with you guys though. Good tune first and foremost. But I have seen a lot of LST/Aftershock 2 speed clutches binding, brand new from the parts bag and in brand new trucks lately.
There is a thread on the LST forums on the problem as well.

i have a solution...

alright if you are done with break in

and it will not shift

and tuning is not the issue

SCRAP the two piece clutch shoes and flywheel...

go to your lhs and buy a three piece clutch shoe flywheel for your truck, and buy some aluminum clutchshoes...

problem fixed, no slipping, no overheating, more grab.

one of the best first small upgrades you can get for your rc.

I have an LST2 and had the same problem not shifting into second, turned out I needed to get a better tune. Shifts perfectly now that it's tuned a little better. So before you start spending money and tearing things down, check to see if you have a good tune. It's cheap and an easy first step to solving your problem.