Advice on a starter box or roto start?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC48

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all,

I have a very annoying problem, I just recently got a Wasp .28 engine. I broke the origional pullstarter before it even got started once. I started it will a drill with the entire rear end of my buggy off lol. I finished off all the idleing with the drill but now its time to start driving it slowly. So I went to start it and the pullstarter I put on the engine (off an S-25) broke before the engine turned over once. I pulled and the handle didn't move, it just ripped the cord in half. I'm sick and tired of fixing and buying pullstarters and I want a electric motor to do it for me.

My two options are the roto-start for the HPI S-25, it fits because the pullstarter did, or a starter box. Which would be the best way to go?

Right now I'm think of going with the starter box cause then I won't have to deal with one-way bearings. Oh yeah, its a Wasp .28 on a Kyosho Inferno MP7.5 kit. What do you think I should do? :shrug:

Last edited:
C'mon guys, I want to order tonight, I think I'll get the rot-start but I want to know what you think!

I second the starterbox, the Ofna chrome top is what I got you should take a look at it.

Ok, I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the replies, its hard to pass up rotostart for only 35 bux though...

well I have the Wasp .28 on my buggy and I have a rotostart backplate on it but I also have my starter box set up for buggy. So I would invest in maybe both. I am sure you can find a deal here or there somewhere. Many people yank out the stock engines that came with their RTR's to go for bigger performance engines and those that the yank out may have a rotostart and backplate for you.

I have both, and I like the rotostart much better!! Easier to deal with, and much lighter than the starter box! A day out with the starter box, and thats just one more thing I have to clean! Only one battery with the rotostart vs the starter box with 2 7.2's. Unless you get the 12 volt gel cell, then you have to start dealing with it not supplying enough voltage to turn a big o'le .28! Just my 2 cents!!

Woody

Well I decided to go with Rotostart because of the cost being much less and for reasons that woody posted above. Thanks guys!

well just another thought about maybe using both in the future......I was at a race one day and had a rotostart on my buggy, the gears inside the handheld starting device got chewed up which left me hanging with nothing to spin my engine over at a race. I had toset up my friends starter box to get me going just so I could run my Main's. Now I will not get left possibly stranded at a race since I have both a good rotostart set up and a light stainless steel Ofna off road starter box.

Maybe I will get a box in the future, I don't know but I am going with the Rotostart for now. Having both sounds like I'll never be without a starting method, which is good. Hmmm, maybe I will get both lol. Thanks everyone!