Advice and tips on first crank

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickstorm86

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Very first nitro RC car cannot find any help on cranking or setting carburetor adjustments please help

HPI big block tuning vid helped me out quite a lot when i started out

set carb to factory settings. Be prepared to start it 3-4 times that first tank. Other then that it’s fire it up.

Preheat the head with a heat gun. get it to around 180F. Prime the engine, then start it. Increase the idle screw until it's running without having to give it throttle. Let it idle for a full tank, then let it cool down to ambient temp. Do that 3 or 4 times. Then start doing passes. 1st tank at 1/4 throttle, let cool. 2nd tank at 1/2 throttle and let it cool, etc.

I highly suggest looking at a video on YouTube. It’s from invisible speed called the secret to tuning. Watch the whole video, it’s about an hour but will save you hours messing with stuff you don’t understand.
He also has a break in video. Both videos helped me tremendously. You’ll be an expert in no time

idle for a full tank?? that seems like it would overheat

idle for a full tank?? that seems like it would overheat
During break-in the engine usually has the carb set on the rich side. You might actually need to wrap the head to bring up the temps.
A properly tuned engine should be able to idle all day long without overheating. The fuel itself (because it's an alcohol) also cools the engine.

prime the fuel lines, make sure you have a good glo plug. make sure the carb is open 1/8-1/4

Back