4.6 or 4.6?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockmover

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Is there any difference in the F4.6 and the K4.6?

the f 4.6 is better thats all that needs to be said lol

Imo the K4.6 is better thats why it comes in the ss kit. Its also easier to find parts for. Like someone said on another post "You would notice more difference by changing the spur gear than between the two engines". If your going to buy a 4.6 i wouldn't recommend either for the price.

No doubt at all the F4.6 smokes both the K4.6 & K4.6HO

The 2011 X is soooooooo much better hooked up compared to the heavily outdated SS kit.

Neither engine are good compared to similar priced engines by other companies. The 2011 F4.6 may be better considering its not using the same pos carb from the 25. I cnat speak for the new f4.6 engines but i have owned both the older model f and k. The F is junk! the bearings started leaking after a gallon and a half and HPI doesn't sell replacement bearings for it you have to buy the crank case with bearings installed. Also the internal design is better on the K with the internal one way bearing as well as the removal of the button head.

I've had a few lrp .28s and lrp 30s and i can say that my 4.6 is pretty darn close as far as power and stability goes.. that thing is so easy to tune and doesn't skip a beat.. i guess il have to wait and see what time brings..

I don't much care for the internal owb on the K engines myself. It gets soaked with oil and has a tendency to slip more than an external owb just my 2 cents worth.

Yeah, not even close to a ZR30X either one, However the F4.6 is decent for RTR and plenty of punch for a X.

That was funny though, gave me a good chuckle.

I don't much care for the internal owb on the K engines myself. It gets soaked with oil and has a tendency to slip more than an external owb just my 2 cents worth.

Not if you take proper care of the engine, if your not burning out all your fuel after each run, yes it will get mucked up and slip or if you use crap gas with too high a oil content Traxxass anybody) It will last if you take care of the engine. This means proper tune, and claring out all fuel after each run, not over priming and preheating the engine will also help, but is not a must.

Last edited:
So far my f4.6 has been great and my one way hasnt slipped yet. Lots of power. Enty of power actually. I dont think the x needs more really but its never enough power lol. Priming the engine too much is also a bad way to ruin the one wayz. I just do the block exhaust and watch fuel go to the carb way and it works best for me. I see alot of people blow into the line and that seems to make the one way slip more i think. I used to use that method for my revos and i always wet through one ways. Just my 2 cents

So far my f4.6 has been great and my one way hasnt slipped yet. Lots of power. Enty of power actually. I dont think the x needs more really but its never enough power lol. Priming the engine too much is also a bad way to ruin the one wayz. I just do the block exhaust and watch fuel go to the carb way and it works best for me. I see alot of people blow into the line and that seems to make the one way slip more i think. I used to use that method for my revos and i always wet through one ways. Just my 2 cents

Yeah, enough for a X, but not an extended X or XL

Blowing in the line is actually the better method, and less likely to cause over priming than priming by plugging the exhaust and turning her over. However its not needed, as plugging the exhaust & turning her over works fine.

I would think your OWB problems with the Traxxas was more because they are Traxxas :lol: but more likely from using Traxxas gas that has a extremely high oil content (16% or so) the high quality fuels get away with 8% oil content from higher quality oil and mix.