3.3 on a smartech

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieB

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but since It's almost a direct copy of a T-maxx I figured someone here might know. I purchased a smartech magic wheel for $50 runs great (for what it is). I have a friend with a 3.3 and trans from a T-maxx. Anyone done this swap? what else will I need other than exhuast and maybe some custom mounts?

you will probably need a maxx..

i doubt the smartech chassis will handle the power of the 3.3, if it will, it wont last long.

good luck though, anything is possible. take pics and video when that 3.3 twists the chassis in half!!

I will do my best to video it! I figured since, from what all i've read, the magic wheel was produced from the designs sold to smartech by traxxas that it might be do-able. I can't afford a nice truck up front, and would be upgrading it even if i did get one, so this way I can just upgrade as I break it and eventually have a really built maxx.

Last edited:
I thought you were full of crap but man that thing does look almost exactly like a T-Maxx. There are a few differences, but from a distance....you could mistake them for each other. I think the 3.3 would tear it apart too but it is worth a try. One big problem I see would be the Carb on your truck looks to be a barrel style carb and a 3.3 is a slide carb. You will have to mod the linkages and exhaust to make it fit. But why not....give it a try.

Supposedly getting the engine and trans tomorrow. So I might be able to start ripping a chassis in half soon. I really doubt the chassis will be in danger, maybe the front and rear diffs, or maybe the d-shafts, but I'll try to video either way :hammer: .

Hi Eddie!

I made a conversion from smartech to tmaxx and it ended up that I had to get nearly every part of a t maxx to make fit.
These parts are excatly the same:
the bulkheads
the body posts
the shock towers

and that´s all except dampers .

Even the mounting stuff for the throttle servo is different although it looks same to the smartech one. Smartech changed parts only some milimetres but that´s enough. If u re gonna buy for example a tuning chassis (I did from rd logis) U will have to buy a new skidplate and bottom braces and EVERYTHING new on the main chassis plate. Or u will have to drill in holes for the old smartech parts.

And there is another problem. Smartech has a side exhaust, traxxas a rear exhaust. the 3.3 engine is to big for a side exhaust and u wont get the engine in at all....

Hop I could help

mazeworks

Great to get some info, sad to hear the info though. Hmmm. On the exhaust, would it be possible to cut and modify the pipe? to wrap around the engine and even though rear mounted have it wrap around as a side exhaust? Or what about running the rear exhuast as is (dont have the truck in front of me and haven't got the motor yet either.)

Hey Eddie!

Pls see my thread " Quick help: Difference between 2.5 and 3.3 transmission/ which engine can I use? "
I put in some pictures today that show the problem. the engine and the tranny went much more in the back of the chassis.
There should be enough space for the recoilstarter and stuff but the muffler and exhaust will me not easy to install.
I personally think the main reason why smartech changed chassis is that they must had problems getting cheap engine with rear exhaust. To make it fit they put engine and tranny about 6 - 7 mm near to the front and ta taaaaa U could install a sideexhaust easily.

PS:
Don´t worry Eddie.
Building up a smartech with tuning stuff can be even cheaper than getting a t maxx and put the stuff than. You should replace weak plastic anyway. the original t maxx without any alloy tuning isn´t much stronger than the smartech chassis.
(may be except the chassis at the big block engines).

The Magicwheel is a great M/T. Is it the .15 or .18 version? If its the .18 stick some 30 or 40% in it before changing mills. The diffs are a little weaker than the Tmaxx but for the price, (like $200 bnib on fleabay) they are awesome.
The 3.3 will go in it with the side exhaust, (I have one with a Fantom .18) BUT you WILL need steel driveshafts.
See if you can get a set off the OOOOOLD Tmaxx, with the narrow chassis. All will be good mate..

Oh yes... forgot there are twoe versions.
I can only talk about the .15 version.....

i have the ???? version of it. My wife bought it for me from her cousin for $50 with a broken center d-shaft and some loose electronics. I'm guessing from the way it runs that its the smallest possible engine .15, for the price I will never complain. The 3.3 with carb and trans are going to cost me $60. If i can shoe-horn it in there and run it for a few minutes before it breaks something else I'll be more than content to go to the lhs and start the upgrading.

Hi Eddie!

Just habe a closer look on your engine. At the smartech engines there is a number on it. I would think that you have a .15 on it, right?
Apart from that I figured out that no other engine will work in smartech trucks cause the engines are due to drive shaft extensions much longer that normal engines. Mine is about 9 cm long and that´d be ober 1 cm longer as it should be for the t maxx.
Maybe you can use the extension parts for example the clutchbell and extesnion gear shaft on the new engine but I doubt that it will work prober than. It is designed for a 2.5 ccm engine and I would never use the parts which comes with the smaller engine (clutch,...) on a bigger engine.
However it might work in a way but if it´s than that what U wanted...??
Pls report...

Having trouble actually getting the engine and trans, getting them from a friend of a friend, taking forever...

should be picking up the 3.3 and tranny today, and possible ALOT of other tmaxx stuff, possibly even a second 3.3.

got almost an entire tmaxx!, an extra engine to rebuild, couple extra wheels and tires, a controler, two easy starts and the "wand", an extra t-maxx chassis plate, tuned pipe and a stock pipe as well. and some more new in package parts. oh, and the best part twas all just $125

The 3.3 doesn't have a clutch bell on it, but when I set it on the factory smartech engine mount (that it fits perfectly on) the end of the crank is under the gear on the trans. Noticed the smartech control arms are thicker than the t-maxx ones, also noticed that the chassis braces from the maxx are basically identical to the smartech. I'm taking the whole lot to the hobby shop tomorrow and I'm going to get a few peices to try to get it closer to running. Project SmartMaxx is on its way to ripping the chassis in half......

got a bunch of stuf today and started swapping, the chassis plate is a little thinner on the smartech so when I try mounting to the t-maxx chassis the screws are to short, so I started going the other way, took quite a few parts off the smartech chassis, rear bulkhead, rear axle shafts,rear spindle assembly, lots of little misc. stuff. i almost have a finished truck. Going to a different hobby shop tomorrow to get a clutch bell and bearings, brake disc, 2 servos, rear turnbuckles, coupler for the exhuast, and maybe a couple other things money permiting.

on a side note the wheels\tires off the smartech fit nicely on the maxx chassis and widened it by about 1cm on each side.

Last edited:
Sweet....you are going to have that thing going pretty soon. I love Frankenstein rigs! I have made a few myself. Need to put up pictures when you get the chance.

going to try to get it all assembled tonight, didn't get a reverse servo, but I did get everything else I need, so for now I guess I'll either "borrow" the steering servo from my stampede or I'll wire the reverse solid so it doesn't bounce into reverse by accident.

I'll wire the reverse solid so it doesn't bounce into reverse by accident.
I would say good call there....I did that after a water "accident" fried my reverse servo. Then ended up never replacing it.

Back