2nd Gear switching problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revo3.3Racer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys, My revo slows down when it hits second gear.

Like i give it gas and it goes fast in first gear and then slows down in second gear.

Any ideas what might of broke/happened ?

Only thing I could think of is MAYBE your spur/bell combo could be geared too high and the engine just does not have the torque to push it in the higher gear. Or you could be too lean...to the point you are losing power so when you hit second gear big power loss that could equal slower speed. That is just a tossed out there wag....strange problem though.

It sounds like your LSN is good if you're getting good acceleration off the line. The HSN is for the upper end, and you'll need to adjust that one. I can't really tell without hearing it, but start by leaning it in small increments and running it. If it starts to improve, lean it little by little till you have good runs with a trail of smoke.
If it seems to be getting worse when leaning it, then you'll need to richen it with the same procedure.

I'd check your slipper.

If you put your foot on the truck to keep the wheels from turning then blip the throttle to WOT, watch the spur. If it seems to spin really easily, your slipper is probably too loose. Tighten it up 1/4 turn and see if it's any better.

Or, as frickenjoey and rolex, could be too tall of gearing or a tune issue.

If your engine still revs at high RPM's once it shifts into second without noticeable speed gains, I'd bet it was the slipper or clutch bell shoes themselves.

Has anybody thought that apart from the slipper clutch being too loose or the main clutch shoes being worn that it MIGHT just be that the "Primary Clutch" (second gear clutch) may be worn or slipping in some way ?

If the engine sings enough to engage that second gear, but then bogs down really bad, i would lean it 1/8 and see if it acts the same. I highly doubt that if the engine is singing enough to hit that second gear but bogs down when it does, i'd say it's a tranny issue.

THANK YOU duck stang !! so i am NOT the only one thinking "tranny issue" it would seem.

Thinking about it though and thinking back, thats what my revo tranny did just a few minutes before it died on me and i was taking it easy driving it home, then gave it one final WOT pass before i put it away and BAM!! outa nowherethe revo flipped over its own nose onto its lid, good job i had a spare tranny handy, as it turned out that i snapped the primary shaft and toasted a couple gears locking it solid.

i called traxxas support and they said to richen up my HSN.

but i dont understand.......

It has the power to go realy fast in first gear but then slows down, i really dont think its my tune, i think something's up with my tranny.

well time to go check it out !

well checked the tranny and its like brand new !

Either its out of tune or a problem i was having like this ended up being the clutch shoes for the engine. when you hit 2nd there is more load on the clutch shoes and they can slip.

Thats a point, is the clutch bell "Glazed" on the contact area for the clutch shoes ? if it looks like it is, clean it back with some wet and dry sandpaper to remove the glaze.

hell just scuff it up to get extra grip. if thats your issue

if you "scuff it up" without it being glazed, it can actually wear the clutch shoes quicker, which is not necesarily a good thing.

Thats like skimming a drum brake to improve grip, rather than having it ground back to remove any glaze. It wears the pads a lot quicker than they otherwise normally would.

If the CB is glazed, the shoes would just slip and his engine would keep singing w/out engaging 2nd gear. If the CB would be glazed, it would be hard for him to get off the line. Off the line is where your tranny and engine would see the most load. 1st to 2nd switch should not put enough strain on the engine to cause is to bog due to the load on the engine being lower because your engine/tranny is not trying to move 7-10lbs from a stand still.

I would check for binding or anything to do w.the tranny. Check the bearings in the transmission.

Last edited:
when my clutch shoes were slipping it wouldnt do it off the line. As the truck neared 2nd gear it got hotter and when it hit 2nd gear it slipped.

when my clutch shoes were slipping it wouldnt do it off the line. As the truck neared 2nd gear it got hotter and when it hit 2nd gear it slipped.

If it would slip, the engine would not bog down....it would just keep singing.

Back