.21 engine or bigger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saidin270

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Will a .21 motor or larger fit in place of my .18? I'm wanting more power out of my MT2 and a bigger motor seems like the only way. I've tried finding any information on the internet buy I am having no luck. I figured some of you guys or gals who have more experience might be able to help me. I'm also looking to get a good dependable motor that will last for a decent amount of time. Thanks for any help.

It won't fit without a decent amount of modifying the chassis or a conversion kit. Even then it will be total overkill. You'd probably be time and money ahead just to get a better 18.

New Era has engine mounts and whatnot for a conversion:
http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?session_id=&part_id=710

You will need to find a pipe, header, air filter to work for your engine of choice. Honestly I wouldn't go with an engine too powerful or you will just be ripping your drive train apart every time you run it.

Last edited:
All the .18 engines I have looked at are not as powerful as the Nitro Star .18 engine I have. Though I dont think I was looking at the engine you have specified. I saw a youtube video of a MT2 with the Picco and that thing was a beast. The guy had to custom make a wheelie bar lol. On a side what is the difference between a slide valve carb and a normal carb?

Well thanks for the information nitrojoe. I think I'm just going to stick with the same engine and maybe get another nitro in a little while, like the Hellfire or Savage X. All the information I have found on other engines say they all make around 1.5 - 2.0 hp. The nitro star engine supposedly makes 2.3 hp but who knows.

I have noticed that my MT2 breaks often but mainly just small parts. Not to get off topic but I'm now having to deal with the front dog bone coming out when I'm out bashing. The dog bone has more room to slide around unlike the others. When it does come out I'm only running off the back wheels. I dont know whats wrong, I replaced the parts exactly how they were but it can slide a good distance. Any ideas why it would have more room to slide around?? Thanks for the help again.

It seems as though the dog bone is now too short even though its the same size. I looked through the exploded view of the manual and there are not spacers or rings on the dog bones. I just replaced the part that the bearing and axle sit it cuz it came off as a my MT2 went off a jump. If you can remember it my help me out but I'll check over it again tonight.

Actually, I believe there are little o-rings in the axle cup that keep the dog bone floating in the middle. Without the o-rings, the dog bone will go too deep into the cup and fall out on you. Or have a higher likelihood of falling out on you.

As for the HP ratings... I can guarantee you that the HPI 18 is not stronger than my LRP28. Which in the "truggy" version (no pulstart), it dyno's at 1.87hp.

The HPI 18SS was rated on the dyno as well at .63 hp.

You can take a look at a list I posted from the XDyno to get an idea of what the numbers for many engines are compared side by side with the same dyno.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=557059#post557059

Keep in mind hp is just a number. If you have 10 companies all figuring it differently, you will get 10 variations of a number. That list is a compiled list of many engines tested the exact same way on the same dyno. So, regardless of the "numbers", you can see how they compare.