1/8 Buggy Tips on setup

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No prob. Check out that link too all kinds of good info on there.

When you say outlaw class, we have no such thing that I know of. ROAR says you need a .21, some tracks dont care what size it is, most race .21's are more powerful than sport .25/.26's anyway. Amount of ports does not matter. Not like on-road.

Last edited:
You'll be very happy with your EB4 S3. I have a Pro version(basicaly built from the start with every optioned part available) with a Crono RS3. The thing rips! I'm not sure which handles better, my S3 or my Prospec?

This is the kit version. I still have yet to decide what engine to put in it. I have a good deal coming in on a sirio 21 Kanai Evo2 mill. Is this a good engine for the TTR EB4 S3? Yes, I do plan on racing this buggy competatively and will stick with the .21 engines. I'm still doing my research on these engines since most of my knowledge is with .12 onroad engines so any suggestions will be appreciated (the RB WS7II is a bit pricey but not counted out of my list).

The Sirio K 2 motor is a very good motor. Depending on the type of track you'll be running on and what you are going to pay for the Sirio, I would look at the NV P5. I'm presently running a P5 with a JP-1 pipe & header in my Prospec, it has tons of power. When I inquired as to which motor to buy, the WS7II or the NV P5, I was advised the P5. So far my P5 seems to have more low end punch and about the same top-end, maybe a tad bit more than the WS7II, and the P5 isn't yet fully run in.

P5 P5 P5 P5 P5 P5 P5 all i can say is the P5, up untill about 2 months ago i would have said the Rb, but after a recent run of bad luck with them, i decided to go p5 and i dont think i will ever look back, more power down low, same top end, and really economical, if you want an absolute grunt box try the 421b but is more engine than i could hold on to, and was an absolute prick to tune, and keep going. p5 and the 421b are cheap compaired to the rb, 421b you can get for around 265us

mikeburgin said:
. . . try the 421b but is more engine than i could hold on to. . . 421b you can get for around 265us

So the 421b is cheaper and more powerful? Just wondering, because I want to buy my first hard core, ridiculous power engine, and I was hoping to spend $300.00 or less with a new tuned pipe too. I was thinking v-spec, but if the Nova is cheaper. . .hmmm. Do you get a warranty with the Nova, like you do the O.S.?

By the way, who am I forgetting besides the above, I considered Sirio, and R.B. (both out of price range) are there any other, full race grade engines around this price range (by that I mean that a factory driver would use)?

no race engine has a warrenty so throw that out the window right now. yes the OS and 421B are both good engines. id like to try the 421 only because i have a vspec. in your pricerange, you can find some MAX engines, the original sirio kanai, nova/top/rex P5x and 421Bx, JP p5, RB S5, OS vspec, chrono rs05, and a few more I'm sure. for a pipe most of those are happy with a 086 pipe, preferably the power racing hard coated one with a long header vs. the ofna version. if you want more fuel mileage out of them use an 053 pipe.

CorradoPsi said:
no race engine has a warrenty. . .

I am going to try to be right again. The shiny silver 2 year warranty seal to the right of the engine, is how I am hoping to pull it off (just kidding). I was still thinking V-spec, but has any magazine done a side by side dyno test or anything, so that you can see through the manufacturer b.s. about horsepower, torque and rpm numbers?

http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=108_109_110&products_id=7466

Sorry for stealing the thread by the way Driver. But engines are part of setups too!

HAHAHAHAHA warranty on an engie now thats amusing, dont know who told you the os has a warranty, think they all do till you take out the box, 421b is impresive, but if your not that good at tuning stay away from it, having said that the os isnt the easiest either

ya i have a vpec box in front of me no warranty do the nature of this engine lol - someone @ ace made a boo boo.

kx250ryder said:
Sorry for stealing the thread by the way Driver. But engines are part of setups too!
No harm no foul. BTW it's DIVER not Driver.

One thing is for sure. With the different torque numbers and placement of the power variances from engine to engine, setup has to be a little bit different with each powerplant.

I learned that from my on-road cars. I went from running an OS 15 CV-R in my NTC3 to running an RB X12 5 port Rody. My settings were all over the place and had to be reset. When I killed that engine (cracked block) and switched to a Novarossi NS12S3, I had to change the settings again because the power was in a different place.

The same goes for an offroad. With the taller suspension travel I would assume the same thing. More power = more squat in the powerband in certain places.

Slothy, you think if I buy one, ace will back their typo?
edit: yeah right!

Diver, I actually read your description of why it was diver in the other forum. I was in the middle of my post and I clicked back, to see what your sn was, and I think the Jeff Gordon Avatar is what threw me. Sorry for the typo.

It's ok. Just like watching NASCAR when it's rainy out and the nitro's gotta stay on the shelf. Even before the avatar, I was being called driver. It's more like crasher these days ... lol

Back