1/5 baja 5b with castle mamba monster?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken_civic

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Curious if anyone has tried the mamba monster in the baja 5b? I know the motor is a little under rated and only found one video on youtube with one. I recently traded a old 357 revolver for a king motors clone 5b, it's got the hpi 5t body and a 5t conversion.

Castle offered a mamba monster conversion, I bought one off ebay. I have a complete mamba monster setup on a e-maxx, i've also got another emaxx that's frankenstien i'm running a 1800kv 1/8th scale castle motor on. I am gonna try the lower kv motor with the mamba monster esc and see how it goes, any thoughts? I hate to burn up a $200 esc however, i've been running a 1/10th mamba max esc on 22.2 volts with that 1800kv motor in the e-maxx and had no issues.

Castle makes a kit specifically for the baja, it not only comes with an ESC and Motor but also a conversion kit as well. The ESC even has a data logging feature in it. Its mighty expensive but if they made it specifically for the baja then my guess would be the smaller 1/8 scale combo aint gonna work to well. This is just a guess though as I have never tried it....Better gear it real low if you do :)

castle also offered a conversion kit for the mamba monster at one point I think.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0XamwMv51E"]HPI Savage Flux TCS 1/5 Baja Conversion 5b Castle Mamba Monster 2200kv at Beach - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like it worked for him. Id just start out with low gearing and work my way up :) Let us know how it turns out :)

I think Fast Eddy did a build on one and posted it here.

Yea, I think I remember that build from a while ago. I was hoping he did one with a castle mamba monster setup, not the xl...

Still wish I had more info on this. I don't wanna burn this esc up. I wanna run a 1900kv motor on 6s, i've seen in google searches that people have put that 1/5 setup on savage flux's and they pulled more amps than their 5b's if the savage flux runs great with the mamba monster, i'd think the 5b would too if the savage pulls more amps.

I'm all for exploring on cheaper stuff, for example I have that 1900kv motor on a e-maxx rite now with a castle 1/10 mamba max on 6s lipo with a conversion harness I made, it has got hot and shut when it was really hot in the summer time before I put a fan on the esc, after I put the fan on the esc it worked great, those things are way under rated.......

Last edited:
Use the proper gear and a monster system will work fine. As a general rule of thumb, larger vehicles should have lower kv motors. That 1900 should work well if gear correctly.

Back