1/16 e-Revo or 1/16 Slash

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Williamc141

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was looking to buy a new RC truck RTR.
I've been looking at both the e-Revo and the Slash. They both seem good but I was wondering which you guys thought was better. Also is it worth the money to get brushless or just stay with brushed. One more thing, Is there any other RTR rc truck brands that are good or better than traxxas and are under $300?

Thanks

well i have the 1/16th e-revo vxl(brushless) and i absolutely love it!!! It handles very good on the street, but in long grass the truck is not the best due to its size. The slash on the other hand being the same size, yet just not as wide, handles 100x WORSE! i have personally seen them run at my LHS and they just flip like no other. I would go with brushless as you can learn to handle the power, where as a brushed you will get bored of very soon.

I agree with the above, I have both an the revo is easier to control, an the brushed version is a waist,

I'm looking for a truck that can go off road in the dirt but still be fast enough for jumps and whatever else is in the woods. I was also wondering if any of you guys have a good battery and charger I should get for a slash / e-revo BRUSHLESS.

Last edited:
Mini Revo VXL.

Here's a good link to the mini forum addressing several mini revo upgrades and batteries.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74978

A lot will depend on what your driving style is ie, racing, bashing or beating it up.
I like the Hyperion line of batteries because the are moderately priced and you can get the VX series rated for 35c/65c bursts which is plenty to power one of these. They come in 2s and 3s but the 3s is a tight fit.
Tenergy makes good batteries too that they sell in pairs for paralell connections in 2s 1800mah.
For a moderately priced charger I use the Hyperion EOSO606i ac/dc charger. Its one of the best you will find unless you are willing to spend the bucks. Whatever you do make sure its a balacing charger if you choose to go the lipo route.

Bashing and racing. Batteries in paralell would probably be your best bet for longer run times and plenty of power on tap when needed.
Both are good trucks and different even though they share the same platform. I do not own a slash but have seen them perform very well in the right hands.

I have the mini revo because of its wider track (stability) and that fits my driving style better. I also come from a hard bashing mt and truggy background so it was familiar territory for me. You'll find a lot of owners of both rigs here. I'm more of a builder, I get to race as time permits but I do hop them up and take them to the street.

Does the 2.4 ghz make a big diffrence? And could the battery I put in my post be recharged by the charger that comes with the revo?

Does the 2.4 ghz make a big diffrence? And could the battery I put in my post be recharged by the charger that comes with the revo?

Yes, the 2.4ghz will make a HUGE difference. It gives you longer range that you can control the truck. The traxxas link includes a pre built in failsafe, and when you go to the track, you don't need to worry about the crystals as in a 27 mhz. As for the battery, unless you already have one, you will need to buy a lipo battery charger and balancer. Some chargers have built in balancers, and some don't. They can run from $50, all the way to $350. Depends on how much you charge, and if your a pro or not. This is a great charger to get that my lhs has and uses:

Click HERE

thats looks like your going the right direction, are you new to the hobby? because if you are lipo is not the right choice, if your going to be running twin batts though you will need these connectors:

Series Connector

Parallel Connector

oh wow, stretch i didn't notice that, thanks for sharing before i bought the venom charger. Now I'm going to look at the hyperion ones instead. Thanks again dude, you saved me a lot of hassle i guess

No problem. I found this out a few months ago. Many poeple swear by that charger. I was going to buy it until I read some data made public by some of the flyers. They were finding cells out of balance enough to shorten battery life. Wether Venom is included wasn't stated but the chagers are coming out of the same place.

I bought mine locally for $119 plus tax.

Williamc; I'm not familiar with the life batts you linked to but do have one of the traxxas packs. It runs my daughters rc18r ok. The power drops a lot more under load with dry cell packs when compared to lipo or life. If you use two of any of them it will be 3 times as much fun!

Last edited:
I would like to get lipos. There is a much longer run time correct? Do I need a special charger for them? Oh and yes I am new to the hobby.. Is it that noticable?:D

All of the chargers we have linked to will charge lipos. Just pick a high "C" rating and a good charger/balancer keep you batteries in good shape. You will also want a lipo storage /charging bag and maybe a nice clay pot like I use (just in case).

Rolex has a great thread stickied here; https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74093
I've read this one and others.

Dang. Lipo chargers are expensive as hell! I dont know if I should just go lipo or stay with Nihm. :\

If you think of the charger as an investment, it's not too bad. A decent charger will be able to charge every RC battery you own. LiPo is the only way to go. They're lighter and able to discharge at a higher rate than NiMH packs.

Back