Couple noob questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bansh88

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
1: Revo starts up, no problem. Runs for about 5 seconds then shuts off. Ran for a while longer not too long ago but was not running at full force. I'm thinking carb is a bit gummed up? Which leads me to next question:
2: What is the process after a run? I know Traxxas says to spray WD through engine. I dont see WD cleaning anything out though. What do you guys do at the end of the day to ensure a proper run next time out?
3: Glow plug. When is a plug bad? What to look for? What does engine do when plug is going out? Not even sure what the plug does. Is it just active during start or all throughout operation?

Thanks

1: It is possible its gummed up, does it sit often with fuel left in the lines ? if not its most likely a tune.

2: my personal after run process is after I'm done driving for the day i empty my tank back into my filler bottle and start the truck back up till there is no more fuel left in the lines. Then i take the glow plug out and put 2 drops of 3n1 oil into the hole ontop of the piston to keep everything very nicely lubricated for the next run. WD40 is an OK lubricant but its mainly for cleaning.. so yeah if it is gummed up its good for cleaning that gunk out, but if your not gummed up its not really needed.. you want to put a quality lubricant to decrease as much friction uppon start up as possible. Most users will probably say use after run oil specifically for nitro engines but really your just paying extra for something thats no better than 3n1 oil that you can get at your local hardware or auto supply store.

3: Youll be able to tell the glow plug is out if you see a crack in the coil in the center of it. Usually when it cracks you can see the coil almost turns a burnt white and thats another sign your plug is not good and needs to be changed. I can't seem to find a picture of a cracked coil but its very noticeable when you look into the glow plug and see that the coil has a separation.

As far as noticing its bad while in the engine you can really hear the difference between an engine about to start with the glow plug connected and not... and when your glow plug wire or igniter is on and charged and it just sounds like its turning over its bad... Or it will just constantly flood and be really hard to crank over.

The glow plug functions where when its first having power pushed into it by the wire or igniter, its glowing hot enough to ignite the fuel and every time there is a new air/fuel mixture coming in the previous fire keeps the glow plug hot enough to ignite it again. and it repeats that process until you pinch the fuel line or plug the exhaust. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdOTa_PJUvU"]Squirrel TV 1: Water Proof Wraith, Glow Plugs Work, 22, and MORE RC HELP. - YouTube[/ame] this should help, you can skip to about 3:00 and youll get an idea how it works. he explains it muchh much better than i do.

Good luck !!

Fantastic! Thanks.
Slow day at work so I brought in the Revo. Gonna work on it at work!

Ok. I completely cleaned carb. I've tried a hundred different settings.
It starts no prob but cuts out immediately. Fuel moves through lines fine. Air filter is fine.
As it starts, it's blowing a lot of fuel out of the exhaust. It also wants to take off as it's starting.
Ideas?

do the wheels try to spin before the engine starts ??( while cranking it ) ...if so , might be a broken clutch or clutch spring ......

how is it tuned ? ..how many turns out are you on the needles ?? ...you could be out of tune to

how old is the truck ??

No idea on the age of the truck. It's 3rd hand.
Wheels don't spin until engine has started.
I'm 4 turns out on main and 2 on the Low spped needle (?) small one.

Now I'm thinking it's the Glow Plug? It kinda makes sense that as soon as the starter gets pulled off, the glow plug fails? I held plug up to cooling head and started. Plug glows orange but doesn't look really hot. It's also very wet after I pull it out.

Also just realized my issues started after replacing the electric starter wiring harness. Truck was going great til one of my connections broke. I swapped out the harness about a week later and that first time out, it ran half ass/cut out.
Could there be any connection with the new wires?

I've had plugs that would glow and would not keep the engine running after i would let go of the button ...new plug fixed that ....i would suggest getting a separate ingnitor for the plug to start it when its cold ....then use the blue wire once its warmed up ;) ..thats what i do

also ..4 turns out might be a bit rich ..try leaning it a bit

GOT IT!!! Just grabbed a new plug. Man I love when the easiest solution is the best solution. Forgot how fast these things rip.

---------- Post added at 1:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:24 PM ----------

Unfortunately, the plug lead is too big for the wire so I had to just hold for connection. Look slike I'll be buying an ignitor tomorrow

you could file the tip of the plug a bit so that it fits the wire ...i did that when i had diff plugs ..but the ignitor is good the have ;)

God damn! This thing is gonna be the death of me!
Got home and hit up the track. Thing ran awesome for about 3 minutes. Then started revving really high. Then revved going nowhere. Me and buddies decided the clutch was out. After several cocktails at friends house we started it up a nd noticed the slip clutch wasn't spinning. We tightened it up and all seems well.
Can the slip clutch loosen? Should I be loctiting something?

^ yes you should loctite it, most users on here will agree aswell.. Most of these nitro trucks these days have alot of screws that vibrate loose. I would loctite it forsure it hould fix that issue.

Back