Reducing Weight in SC8

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessF

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've been thinking of ways to reduce the weight of a stock SC8 while maintaining a high degree of durability. I'd read in a recent R/C Car magazine that weight reduction DOES improve fuel mileage while increasing speed and response time. They concluded this by testing two identical vehicles but with one making use of all available weight reducing parts one could imagine. The final results did show improvement, if only a slight amount and probably only noticeable by pro racers.

Regardless, I've set out to reduce the weight of a stock SC8 because I feel there's much to be gained by doing so to this particular model. Modding the cage and heavy body are high on the list. Adding CF parts where possible and removing parts which I deem unnecessary are also on the list.

I'm debating whether or not to get the aluminium outdrives and sub-axles. These parts will of course reduce weight, but their durability is questionable and I've heard mixed reviews on both. I've got some Ghea parts on order, will gives these a try.

In the end, I hope to improve:
-better fuel mileage with stock AE .28 Pro,
-agility,
-increased durability, less weight in a crash,
-better in-air characteristics, more control from throttle responses,
-fewer parts to clean and maintain.

probably more benefits than I can think of right now.

I'll try to weigh parts as I go, I plan on borrowing a scale from work. From what I've been able to gather, a stock SC8 weights between 8.7lb (3946g) without receiver pack or body or 9lbs dry and with body. Either way, any amount under 8.7 lbs I'll be happy.

First thing I considered was aluminium screws to replace as many steel one's as possible. I found an online supplier of metric aluminium screws, got a variety of 400 (7075 T6 alum.) for around $60 shipped. I saved money by not getting the anodized ones. I plan on replacing most of the screws you'll find on the top of the chassis as any aluminium screws mounted from below will likely get damaged while scraping against rocks and the ground. Things like engine mounts, front centre and rear diff bulkheads will have steel screws.
P1020177.jpg

I picked up the AE CF servo tray. Didn't know separate servo mounts were required so I made my own. Used some extra aluminium post from an AX10. One end is already cut with 3M coarse thread so it made this process a little easier. I cut them to size (20mm), tapped them to accept a 3M screw, then used a small forstner bit and a drill press with depth stop to mill them to the same length.

Steel screws to hold the posts to the chassis plate, and aluminium screws to hold the servos in.
P1020172.jpg

P1020173-1.jpg

P1020186.jpg

P1020179-1.jpg

P1020189.jpg

these parts have not yet been weighed although I'm told the CF plate weighs a bit more, oh well.
more to come...

Stock cups weigh 11.5g each
MP9 cups weigh 8.5g each

Total savings from both diffs = 12g

These cups may work on the centre diff as well. Just long enough to hold the disc brake in place. that would be another weight savings of 6g for a total of 18g.

At first glance, the differences are obvious. The parts that matter are the shaft, cross pin hole and o-ring groove, they're all the same....almost.
P1020242.jpg

The o-ring groove in the MP9 cup is 0.198"
P1020245.jpg

and the groove on the stock AE diff cup is 0.185"
P1020246.jpg

When you put the stock oring on the new, larger MP9 diff cup, the cup won't go back in the diff housing. To correct this I shaved off a slight amount of material from the o-ring. Chucked up in the drill, I used a fine file (clean! no metal shavings) to take off a small amount. Takes the lightest touch to get it there, you'll know you're doing something if a black line is left on the file.
P1020247.jpg

all finished.
P1020248.jpg

A few items weighed.

modified steering rack. stock weight, 9g. mod weight, 6g
P1020253.jpg

for the steering mod I just popped out the existing ball with stand off and used a traxxas ball.
P1020254.jpg

The lock nuck I initially used interfered with the D plate when at full lock.
P1020284.jpg

low profile nut gives more than enough clearance.
P1020288.jpg

P1020271.jpg

stock diff plate
P1020256.jpg

CF diff plate
P1020257.jpg

Stock servo tray
P1020259.jpg

CF servo tray and aluminium posts.
P1020258.jpg

Assembled centre diff c/w aluminium shoe
P1020263.jpg

mud guards. Don't have the stock weight but this shows how swapping 6 small steel screws with aluminium ones saves 3g.
P1020268.jpg

P1020279.jpg

P1020280.jpg

motor mounts
P1020299.jpg

for the amount of material I used I'm surprised there's only a 1g difference. I might counter sink them a bit more to see if I can't make it to 2g.
P1020301.jpg

Dynamite 086 pipe and header
P1020311.jpg

Stock AE pro .28
P1020310.jpg

total weight without fuel tank, motor or muffler.
P1020308.jpg

7lbs 13.3oz

By my excel spread sheet tally, I've lost 127g or 4.4 oz.

to put that into perspective 127g is approximately $22.75 and one US nickle.

That's 8 twonies, 5 loonies, 7 quarters and one nickle.

That's quite a bit of weight in the hand.

P1020315.jpg

Found an error in the numbers

tally is now up to 134g removed

Shaving off nearly 130g is pretty darn nice! Where did you buy the screws in bulk at?

current tally is 134g.

yeah I'm pleased with the weight loss so far.

I've got some ghea parts coming and I still don't know the weight of an aluminium top plate. I intalled it before getting a chance to weigh it and now everything's all lock-tited down and I'm hoping someone knows the weight.

I suspect it weighs less because it combines two parts into one and removes 4 nuts and screws.

I get all my fasteners from http://www.fastener-express.com/

I wanted to use Ti engine mount screws but they don't carry 4M in titanium.

There are some more things I can do to the cage to remove some weight without a loss in strength.

Back