Radron's Scale build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radron

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I'm in the process of building a semi-scaler. In that, I mean I want a scaler that will be as near to a comp truck as possible. I'm using the geometry from my very succesful comp chassis & making a ladder type chassis for it. I'm leaning towards a HPI Bronco body, unless I can find a Jeep Grand Cherokee body ( NO LUCK YET) I will update this build thread as I go. I'm cutting the frame rails & tranny/skid plate now. I should have a few photo's up later today

It will have a custom tube cage & bumpers(made by me:whhooo:) The cab will be exposed for a full interior.

Parts used......

AX-10 axles
AX-10 rear lock-outs with straight axles
STRC aluminum C's & spindles [Front]
AX-10 tranny with stainless steel out-drives
AX-10 shocks
Proline Hammers on AX-10 wheels
Integy 55t lathe motor
CC Sidewinder micro ESC
CC BEC set to 6.5 volts
Brand new Traxxas TQ Radio with mini 4 channel receiver
Hi-Tec HS-645MG Servo
STRC Lower links
Traxxas driveshafts
1 off custom frame
Complete interior
HPI Bronco body

Please be kind ,this will be my first scale build:D

THIS PROJECT WILL BE FOR SALE WHEN COMPLETE!

PM me for info............

Last edited:
wow ron this sounds like a fun build man, i look forward to it being a nice looking quality build, I've seen your crawler and i know how good of work u do...it would be awsome with a Grand Cherokee body

It looks like I may have to go with the Bronco, I can't find a GC body. There are already too many Renegades out there! LOL! I used to have a 66' Bronco,So I may just have to do a copy of that.

Here's a couple of pics of the frame. I made it 55mm wide & 16" long. I'll be installing the axles next. Sorry about the crappy pics.

Attachments

• IMAGE020_020_020.JPG
    IMAGE020_020_020.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAGE023_023_023.JPG
    IMAGE023_023_023.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAGE024_024_024.JPG
    IMAGE024_024_024.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
looks great ron, u do good work man...keep up the pics and progress.

Thanks slowngreen!

I have the axles mounted,ended up with 2.75" clearance. just right!! While I was cutting,I made a quad link for the rear too. I'm going to work on the tranny mount now.

Attachments

• IMAGE025_025_025.JPG
    IMAGE025_025_025.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMAGE026_026_026.JPG
    IMAGE026_026_026.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAGE030_030_030.JPG
    IMAGE030_030_030.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAGE032_032_032.JPG
    IMAGE032_032_032.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMAGE034_034_034.JPG
    IMAGE034_034_034.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
those rims are pimpin lol, are those the stock axials just painted?

Yea, I'm going with purple & silver on the paint. The body will be 2 tone, the chassis & cage will be silver. Should help hide the rock rash.

Last edited:
purple and gold might look a lil better :Louisiana_State:

Yea, It probably would, I'm going with silver for now. So I don't have to have the chassis & lock rings anodized. I can't find anyone nearby that does anodizing.

That's the LSU coonass in us (slang for cajun). Ron, the build is coming along great. I'm going to have to get over to your neck of the woods for a few days, spend one day crawling and the next day on the scale/trail courses. I like the idea of building a capable scaler, I'm planning to go with the same idea kinda. Are you going to run 1.9 or 2.2 inch tires when it's finished? BTW, even though I'm not a ford man, I absolutely love the bronco scalers. I think the bodies just look so scale. Ron, with the work you do, might as well go full interior with hidden electronics :)

If you do come down,I would do it in the winter months. It's freaking HOT!! right now.I'm going with 2.2 wheels & tires, with the 1/8 scale body I think I have to. I'm hiding the electronics between the frame rails & then I'm going to make inner fenders out of lexon. I'm going to use as much lexon as possible to keep weight down. I plan on doing a full interior on it eventually, this will be a on going build. I'm just going to order the Bronco body, I can't find a GC body anywhere. If I do, I can add it later. I'm struggling with the steering servo, I want to mount it on the frame rail. But I see so many people having bump steer issues. I don't want to hurt the crawling capabilities.So,I'm going to put it in the stock location with dual control links for now. After I get it built I may play around with it later. Should have some more progress pics later today or tomorrow.I have a bunch going on with my "REAL" job the next two days.

L8R, Ron

Last edited:
"REAL" jobs suck lol...even though they are prolly heavy would a body off of some type of walmart rc work? they have many cool bodied rc's.

Most scale RC bodies come from Toys-r-us/walmart style rc cars. The innards suck on em, but the bodies are more detailed than you can ever buy out of a hobby shop. You would have to do quite a bit of custom fabrication to make a lexan look that good. Just ask rolex with truckling.

That's one of the reasons I'm using the HPI Bronco,It's surprizingly accurate.

Remember I want this to be very crawl capable, So weight is an issue. I'd rather give up some scale looks for crawlability.LOL!!

Here are a couple more......

CRAP, i'M GOING TO HAVE TO FIND A NEW HOST... WILL HAVE MORE PICS THEN...SORRY!!!

Last edited:
try photobucket ron. unless u did lol.

Yeah with photobucket you wont have to resize your photos anymore and you wont have those little thumbnails showing up in the post. Simply upload them, and copy and paste the exact image code into the post and the picture will show up, big, with no need to resize because woodie set up the site to work with photobucket.

Thanks guys,I just got home from the track. I'll go to Photobucket now.

Back