esc for hpi micro ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsouljaslim13

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm thinking about buying a hpi micro kit from towerhobbies in late june when it comes in and would be one of my first good quality electrics and i can't make up my mind on what electronic speed control to get, does anyone have any reccomendations?

I have had about 3 micro speed controls while 2 of them didnt last to long I promised my self to never buy from the company again right now I have the spy by novak
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCNR7&P=7

it is a good speed control, if you race they also have a racing version but the normal user wouldnt notice the differance. The speed control has lasted me about 2 years( I think) it is tough also.

Same here the Novak SPY is a great micro ESC.I have the SPY and the Micro GT.

The Micro GT even handles 380 class motors! Only drawback(not for racers)it is a FORWARD only with brakes,no reverse.

Both Novak ESC's get my seal of approval

Small ESC

Agreed the SPY is great, I run a few of them on my Micros
Novak's XRS is another great little ESC, much cheaper than the SPY and not that much bigger, it's designed for entry level 540 motors, so the wires are a little long and it has Tamiya type connectors. I trimmed the wires right back on my XRS as I use WS Deans plugs on all my Micro RCs.
The XRS is a bargain at the price...

ahhh... the search is great. I just picked up 2 XRS's today and wanted to make sure they were ok for micros beforeI started cuttin up wires.

yea you should definatly go with the novak spy its a great speed controller. That would be my first choice

any word as to whether the XRS's worked with the 280 size motors? and would it be worth upgrading to a 540 can later or just going brushless?

Last edited:
I have an XRS running an Orion stock 280 motor in my M18. Seems to work fine to me. I don't think I'ver ever seen a 540 in a micro, don't know how one could ever get one to fit. I figure brushless is the ultimate upgrade for micros, no need tryin to fit an oversized can when they are as fast as that really.

To anyone wanting to know will the Novak XRS work with micro motors (180,280 or 380 size)?

100% YES IT WILL

Think about it,the XRS is a ESC for 540 class motors down to 15 turns or so.These draw more amps than any 380 or even more so than even smaller bushed motors.

The XRS will work great with any 380 and smaller brushed motor.The loads these tiny motors place on teh XRS will be a joke.

Well for now the XRS it will be until I get the Mamba setup then. I can always put it in my 1/10 once I upgrade. Thanks.