Red loctite.....when to use it.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

militarymaxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm confident when and where to use the medium (blue) strength loctite but was wondering if there is any place on the buggy that the red is called for.

i know others will jump in with better ansers ...but i dont belive red is ever called for on a r/c ...but if you had a critical area that wasn't near a bearing or plastic so you could take a pencil torch or something to heat the screw to get it out ..i guess you COULD use red

but i dont think its needed

So should I use blue on my RTR Mayhem? I wasn't aware there was different colors and such.

Travis

yes whenever you screw in metal you should use loc-tite ...the colors denote the strengh red is the strongest and you will need to heat the screw to try to remove it blue is the norm its a medium strengh and should keep your screw tight untill you want it to come out & unscrew it ...blue is what most use

The only time I feel red should be used is when u screw into metal that you will not be replacing anytime soon.

I use red on drive shafts, and blue on everything else.

I've never used red on ANY of my r/c's and havent had a screw back out yet. i keep a big bottle of blue loctite handy though.

I use adrop of red on e-clips.....keeps em from poppin off....just a small drop on the open end of the clip....

very usefull question

I use the nailpolish of my wife !!! : works great till now !
and that goes to her budget ... :2cents: :devious:

with the black allen screws of the Mayhem you should not use red locktide
ones you strip the conical allen heads it's a mess
you must be able to take apart and heat the parts you put red locktide on, so not close to plastics either
perhaps alone in the driveshafts if they really come loose with blue

new team instructions say, to mount 16mm screws and locknuts to the rear balljoint/tower connection and steering racks turnpoint mounts
to avoid using locktide there

Last edited:
Honestly...I've never used RED on any screws and rarely use BLUE. 99.5% of the time I use GREEN. It has never failed me and when i need to back a screw out to make repairs..its no problem.

I personally don't use Red Loctite. I don't recommend it either. Blue Loctite is ideal for me. I just let it cure 24 hours prior to moving or using. BIGGEST problem I hear is that they complain on BLUE loctite but never let it cure properly.

blue=most areas
green=light duty (radio posts, fuel tank posts, radio tray etc)
red (maybe) on ur grub screw for your cvds

DONT USE loctite on ur e-clips!!!!! use shoe goo.

-Ult

can't believe that all 11 of you all awnsered the same thing LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use red unlesss u want to throw the part away at the end and start with a new one, 9 times outta 10 youll have to drill the screw

Maybe I was lucky, but I took a CVD back apart the had been put together with red Loc-tite, and it wasn't that bad. Just heated it with a soldering iron, and put some pliers on one of those cheap allen wrenches that come with the car. Then POP! it was free. :shrug:

lucky! normally I've had to drill the screw because the allen head has let go first, think over time it breaks down any way, so might be a bit dependant on how long its been on there for

Yeah, I can't say how long it was on there. It has been some time ago.

Back