help!!! radio system problems...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmytimmy14

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok so i was breaking in my brand new hyper 7 PBS and it was running great until my radio system started acting up around tank #4. i have the stock radio system in it. i am getting MAJOR radio glitching whenever i put in my glow starter to start the motor. and then when i start the motor the radio system doesn't move at all or it goes nuts. i called ofna but they arent open on saterday and sunday. i dont know what to do. i can wait and call ofna on monday and ask them to send me some new radio gear becuase i think the gear that i have now is defective from ofna. but i want to avoid that. any suggestions?

What kind of batteries are you using? Alkilines or a NiMH receiver pack?

It's normal to get heavy glitching when an ignitor is connected. It's a metal to metal vibration. Metal to metal vibrations cause glitching.

How long was the receiver on by tank 4? If your running alkilines, they may be going dead on you. There are several benifits to using rechargable reciever packs. One of which is higher current flow. Another is that it's cheap to recharge as opposed to throw it away and put in a new set of batteries.

i am using alkalines. so should i try to use a rechargeable pack i guess... I'm probably going to pick one up tomorrow then. i gotta finish this break in or I'm gonna go nuts.

I'm pretty sure it not your radio system. Just check the batteries and replace them with brand new ones. Should be back to normal. Hey I'm looking into getting a recharcable batterie pack also. Send me the link of the one your gonna buy. thanks in advance and contrats on the new buggy :cheers:

I hHIGLY recoomend that it be

#1 NiMh (nickel metal hydride)
#2 A 5 cell pack
#3 AT LEAST 1200 Mah

My 5 cell 1600Mah lasts usually 2 hard days, or 3 gentle days of bashing. I never think of my battery it just works as it should with no trouble.

Sounds good 2 days of hard raceing that would be great. Hey can you send me a link for your 5 cell? is that for the radio or reciever? If its for the reviever what do you use for the radio and vise versa.

just buy rechargable AA's for the radio, and get a 5cell pack for the car. you will need either a flat pack or a 2x3 hump pack depending on how your battery holder is shaped. both of which use 2/3A cells and they are available in a maximum of 1200MAH. the higher capacity packs are going to be NiMH cells, and require a special charger, keep that in mind while purchasing your gear. your LHS can help you put together a good package.

also, to address your glitching, go over the car and look for loose parts. any metal to metal screws need locktite. brake linkage that has washers on it is a common mistake. remove the washers and let fuel tubing contact the brake arms. the more metal to metal rubbing you reduce on your car, the less glitching you will get. strong reciever batteries are also important as you have already been told

ok thanks for all the help guys, tomorrow i will put fuel tubing on all the linkages and check all my wiring etc. and i will get some new batteries. and if that doesn't work... then my friend is gonna let me use one of his airtronics receivers that he has. if that doesn't work then I'm gonna start saving for a nice FM system.

Setting up a new car and doing the break in will run down a set of batts very quickly. A new set in the Rx is probably all you need right now.
NEVER get cheap batteries. Use alkalines ONLY, until you get rechargables.

i agree with rolex, you dont need a new radio, but it would be nice for down the road sometime. just toss in some new batt's and look for metal to metal contact.

timmytimmy14 said:
if that doesn't work then I'm gonna start saving for a nice FM system.

This isn't a bad idea. The older non-synth JR radios are very cheap on ebay now ($60-$80).

Also, don't use 4AA sized rechargables for your reciever. Receiver packs that you buy at the LHS or whereever are 5-cells. Rechargables only have 1.2volts per cell. Alkalines have 1.5volts per cell. Recievers like to run between 4.8V and 6V.

If you had 4 rechargables (4.8volts) your at the really low end of good operating voltage. At least with 4 alkalines (6volts), your peaking out the voltage scale. Although, like I said before, alkilines aren't the best to use, especially if you have high torque servo's that require a lot of current flow. While alkilines have higher voltage, they are stingy with how much current they allow to flow out of them.

I bought the OFNA 5 cell (flat) pack with the new switch and charge cord/plug, 1200 mah. Works great on my PCR. I charge it with my Revo Rx charger. (that makes three R/C's that all use the same set up; how convenient!)

Back