how should the tire foam fit the rim?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjoseph

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how the tire foam should sit on the rim. The rims are RPM stablemaxx’s and the tires are Proline Road Rage. Please see attached photo.
I read that most recommend to cut the outside corner portion of the foam, looking at the rim and foam I was thinking that wouldn’t it be better to trim the inside corner of the foam this way the foam fits nicely over the lip that goes around the rim (marked in red in photo)?

Thanks

Attachments

• tire 1.gif
    tire 1.gif
    900.8 KB · Views: 274
I'm not sure I'm following this. Any monster truck tires I've mounted, I've put the foam inside the tire, then mount the tire and wick the glue between the tire and the rim. No cutting or gluing foam.

Some of the old MT racers used to trim the outside top edges of the foams.
I have never bothered trimming the foams, and you don't want to trim the moulded foams at all.
You should tape the inside of the tires though with two wraps of Gorilla tape to help with ballooning.

Badlands01_zps1559da9f.jpg

The wheel in the pic looks like the outer lip has been ground off, you need the lip to hold the tire.

When you mount tires you fit the foams inside of the tire before you mount them on the wheels, once the foam is in the tire make it fit the inside of the tire, it should be a snug fit. Now slide the tire and foam over the wheel making sure the tire beads fit into the bead grooves on the wheels.....your wheel is missing that outer lip to make a complete grove

Back