Does this look normal, too lean, or too rich?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good to me. How much fuel have you ran through it so far? Its a good idea to remove the head occasionally and check the condition of your piston and combustion chamber. If the top of your piston/ combustion chamber appear scorched or pitted, chances are you're too lean, if your glow plug is excessively wet/oily you're probably a bit rich.
Here's a few images to help you compare a good tune vs. a bad tune
http://bannedrc.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12111

thanks for the reply,
so if there is pitting you can easily see small indentations in the metal?

what is the brown stuff exactly?

The piston top and combustion chamber will appear to be sand blasted. Another sign you're too lean is a distorted or burned up spiral element in your glow plug.
Nitro fuel is made of methanol, nitro-methane, and castor based/synthetic oil, so the brown stuff you see is most likely unspent oil.

Most fuels also leave a color signature according to their brand. Below is my 2.5, perfectly tuned, after running Blue Thunder.
IM000200a.jpg

The air to fuel mixture is critically important. A mixture that is too "rich" means that there is too much fuel, a mixture that is too "lean" means that there is not enough fuel for the given amount of air. When the mixture is too rich, performance will be sluggish. There is also a high potential to foul the glow plug when running the car too rich. When the mixture is too lean, there is not enough oil to lubricate and cool the engine parts. Running too lean will almost certainly damage internal engine parts as well as foul the glow plug.

Its looking good to me. I think its normal .

Back