totally unexpected

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edfrombama

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Good morning to all-
So it seems that last week I went aflyin' when I should not have. I took one of my little Eflite Waco biplanes down to the field and sent her up. The plane got way up in the wind and lost control. The plane just did not respond to control inputs. The last I saw of it was high, high, high nd then over the trees and gone. I did feel bad, and I don't know why/how I lost control.
Then we had hellacious thunderstorms and heavy rain the next couple of days, so no flying for me.

Yesterday evening, I heard a knock at the door, and a feller was there and he had my little lost airplane in his hands. He said he found it on the bank of his cattle pond. I thanked him and took the little lost plane inside.

Well, Fellers, that poor plane looked like it had been rode hard and put up wet... Filthy, mud everywhere, and the prop was broken off. So I set the little mess off to the side- it was still pretty damp from the rains. I did not expect much except for possible use as parts in the future.

then this morning I took the plane and started to clean it up. I got a small brush and removed as much dirt and debris as I could. It took a while. After I got the mud and dirt off, I decided that I couldn't hurt anything by seeing if anything still worked so...

The battery got the lights to blinking and the little plane seemed to connect with controller. the motor- still propless- ran, the elevator responded and the rudder responded. but the ailerons- no good. So I carefully removed the servo guards from the lower wings and gently brushed and blew the servos clean- there was still some crud up in the servos. Then I gently turned the servo gear to see if it was free. and it was. So I re-hooked the battery and turned on the controller, and Fellers, believe it not, the ailerons worked. If I'm lyin', I 'm dyin.

So as soon as the replacement prop hub and new prop arrive, I'll be going back and trying the poor lost plane.

I reckon I'll name her, "Amazing Grace" You know, "I once was lost, but now I'm found"

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

There still are some very decent people in this world, awesome story Ed and I'm glad you got your bird back.

'Grace' is a combat veteran now. She deserves a star on her cowling for that one. . .

Glad you got 'er back, up and running again. Cattleman gets the Good Neighbor Award too.

same Q as hammer has for you.Id guess you had a ID tag in her..I run fail safes in all my birds after my Quad took it Last lake Erie trip(never before or after have I lost all control of anything RC since the early 80's

Good afternoon to all-
Well, Fellers, to be honest, I have the world's best ID system for my little fliers.
I live in a very rural area, and the folks who live here know everything about everyone else, and since I'm the ONLY rc plane flier here, then anything crashed in the airplane line must surely be mine. Even though I've never met the kind gent who returned my plane to me before, he knows me and he knows I fly little airplanes in the highway hay field. And of course, like everyone else here, he knows where I live.

so return was simple once the plane was found.

Life can be simple sometimes.

Good afternoon to all-
Well, Fellers, to be honest, I have the world's best ID system for my little fliers.
I live in a very rural area, and the folks who live here know everything about everyone else, and since I'm the ONLY rc plane flier here, then anything crashed in the airplane line must surely be mine. Even though I've never met the kind gent who returned my plane to me before, he knows me and he knows I fly little airplanes in the highway hay field. And of course, like everyone else here, he knows where I live.

so return was simple once the plane was found.

Life can be simple sometimes.

I love the people you find in rural areas, honest hard working folks, who do indeed care for their neighbors. I know as I grew up with immediate family in a rural area, and that rural attitude is universal. "Son, you and your cousin take Mr Bill's dog back to him, and bring him this basket of oranges while you're at it."

I lived in a small town myself, 16,000 people, and even there the difference in the way the people were in the area where my uncle lived, and the people around where I lived was very noticeable, even though there wasn't 20 miles between us, as the crow flies.

Good morning to all-
So, It seemed a good idea to take Amazing Gracie- the lost and then found again UMX Waco biplane- down to the flying field yesterday evening for a spin.
Now, these little UMX Waco biplanes are rated for 3S batteries, and Fellers, these little planes will seriously GO with this battery. A little too much GO for me, really. I guess in my old age and dotage I prefer things a bit more sedate and calm, so I decided to try Gracie with a 2S battery I use in my Staggerwing biplanes.
So she fired up and she took off- there was a bit of a cross wind blowing, don't you know. But she flew and she flew very well. Less power, and much better control.
she would still climb and do slow rolls and big, lazy loops- just the way I like them.
But what about power and control? remember I had a cross wind to deal with on landing.
So I slowed her down, got her lined up and brought her down and in. She crabbed a bit with the crosswind, and I had to really pay attention to keep her under control, but Fellers, she came in and she landed- not even a bounce, and she taxied right up to my feet and stopped and smiled up at me.

I reckoned that would do, so I came home.

I do believe that these little biplanes are going to operate on 2S batteries. I may have to order some more of them.