T-Maxx OS 15CV-X Repair or Replace

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTaylo93

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a T-Maxx .15 that I would like to get up and running again. It had an OS 15CV-X installed on it that lost compression due to the piston and sleeve wearing out. I know that OS has always had a good name, but adding up the parts to rebuild this engine it is getting expensive quick! I was looking to do piston and sleeve and bearings on the engine. I am just curious what others might think if an old OS is worth rebuilding or if there is a drop in replacement for the T-Maxx .15 that I would not need to start beefing up the truck to support (I know axles and such can be a problem on these trucks).

Thank you in advance!

Most of what you're paying for in the Nitro world is the engine. I don't know what your rebuild is looking like cost wise - or if there are any available replacement .15's on ebay etc.

But I do know the 2.5r and the 3.3 are both drop in replacements.

If I where in this situation and decided against the rebuild I would do a Dynamite .19 which should be a drop in replacement. And it comes with a still really good aluminum carb that isn't a pain to tune unlike the 2.5r and 3.3

As far as needing to beef up drivetrain components I believe you're still gonna be fine with it. the 3.3 and an OS21 on the other hand you'd be a little hard pressed to keep drivetrain stuff alive on an older Maxx. (Or so I believe, your mileage may vary)

Hello all, I have a T-Maxx .15 that I would like to get up and running again. It had an OS 15CV-X installed on it that lost compression due to the piston and sleeve wearing out. I know that OS has always had a good name, but adding up the parts to rebuild this engine it is getting expensive quick! I was looking to do piston and sleeve and bearings on the engine. I am just curious what others might think if an old OS is worth rebuilding or if there is a drop in replacement for the T-Maxx .15 that I would not need to start beefing up the truck to support (I know axles and such can be a problem on these trucks).

Thank you in advance!

You can get the Traxxas Pro .15 engine fairly cheap that drops in.

Traxxas sells an upgrade kit if you want to switch to an engine like the Traxxad 2.5.

Thanks for the info guys. One of the engines that seemed to be recommended is that Dynamite .19, so I might look into it a bit more. To rebuild the OS right now it looked like it would be about $80 minimum and could go up if I chose to replace both front and rear bearings during the rebuild. Hence way another engine sounds like it might be a good way to go.

Back