What's the difference in f4.6 and k4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubsdad4

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm new to the nitro world, just bough a savage f4.6. While looking for upgrade I saw the k4.6 and was wondering what is the difference

The f4.6 is alot better than the k4.6. You will like the f4.6 for the money that's a little bad motor that comes on them trucks. They used to have the k 4.6 on them but now they make them with the f4.6 which is alot better and the upgraded motor. Basically the f4.6 is the upgraded version of the k4.6. I have a f4.6 on one of my savages and that truck runs amazing wheelies on command. I've had 6 gallons through it and haven't had any problems with it. I love it

The K4.6 only came with the SS kit, not the RTR. The F4.6 has always come on the RTR SavageX 4.6. The K4.6HO came in the Hellfire. The newer F4.6 has a different color cooling head, the older ones were purple. The K has a MSN and was supposed to be an 'upgrade' motor(hence it came with the SS kit, which had all the 'upgrades'), and it is the exact same motor as the Axial .28 Spec1.

But I digress, if you are looking for an upgrade motor, steer WAY clear of getting another HPI engine. There are so many more options out there that will FAR out-perform, outlast, tune easier, and interestingly enough they are usually even less expensive than the HPI engines.

Last edited:
What y'all opinion then lpr or nova? I now the no a is more pricey, so I guess it's still you get what you pay for.

I would personally go with the Picco P3 .28 or the LRP .28/.30. The Piccos are a higher quality engine than the LRP (better bearings). However, either engine LRP or Picco will out class both HPI engines in every aspect available. Unless you are seriously racing I would steer clear of Novarossi, just too expensive for the normal basher IMO. If you want to spend more money, buy a Picco P3 .28 and send it to Robin at ERCM and he can Mod it to make the Novarossi look weak. He can build them past what the center gearbox can take power wise....even with metal gears.

Any idea on how much the picco cost or the lrp

thats not to bad may next pay day i can order the picco

You can pick up a Losi 454 (rebadged LRP .28 spec 3) on ebay pretty cheap (I got mine for about $120) and likewise Robin can mod those too. The Picco is better than the LRPs though from what I've read. I havent had the pleasure of actually owning one yet though. One of these days though :)

With the right pipe, the stock 454 will out-perform the f4.6 and k4.6 hands down.

i have been hAving over heating problems and now to the point to just start over with new quality stuff

With the right pipe, the stock 454 will out-perform the f4.6 and k4.6 hands down.
Yeah and it doesn't even have to be an ERCM pipe either. Just a decent run of the mill tuned pipe it will out perform them.

It will outperform them both, even if all 3 are running the garbage HPI 2 piece plastic pipe.

Back