t-maxx wont move unless I pick it up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradcoy069

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys i am new to the rc world. I need some help if anyone can help me.. Last night i was running my t-maxx 2.5 and all of a sudden it won't move. It idles up fine but the tires wont move.. When i pick it up the tires will move.. Any suggestions? thanks

slipper

sounds like the slipper clutch see if the screw is loose

Check the nut on the slipper. If it came loose, apply a little blue locktite to the threads. If that isn't the problem, it could be a few things. Clutch on the engine most likely. Let us know what you find. We'll get ya goin'.:)

i checked the slipper gear and it was right. its like something isn't engaging all the way because when i pick it up and give it gas the tires will start to spin but just not as fast as the motor

just tore the tranny all apart and all the gears inside it look great. all moving well..any suggestions?

did you check the slipper clutch like the other guys said? it is not in the trans, it is the large gear mounted to the trans. the gear that the clutch bell touches.

yes i looked at that gear and it spins just as fast as the bottom motor gear without a problem. Is there something that engauges when that slipper clutch is turning? or is there something i should look for on the slipper clutch? what exactly does it do?
thanks for all your help

I dont know anything about tmaxx, but my revo had sim prb, in my case i had the screw that sets the shift point had backed all the way out. i know you said you went through the tranny but it might be something worth taking another look at

`It's possible you lost the pin that attaches a drive shaft to the trans. Check both the front and the back. While holding the car on the ground, see if the output shafts from the trans are turning when you accelerate. Also see if the slipper is spinning.
You also need to check the inside of the clutch bell to make sure the shoes are intact and not glazed.

Like rolex said, check the yoke pin that holds the primary gear onto the primary shaft. I have snapped two of those and my tires would only move when it was lifted off the ground.

have you checked the cluch sping i had it snap on me and did the same thing

you need to trace the rotation of the power. start at the CB and spur. if both of those are spinning, looke at your driveshafts from the trans to the diffs. if those are spinning, look at the outdrives from the diffs to the hubs. where the motion stops there is your problem.

you had many pins throughout the driveline that can shear or back out that will cause the shafts to just spin. you also have a secondary clutch inside the trans, unless you have done the forward only conversion.

ok guys I got it to move and drove it around yard once and it stoped. Now it's kinda jumping and making a zzzing noise and as i reve the motor the zinging get louder.. Any idea what is wrong? i'm about to toss this thing in the trash. Nothing but problems since i bought it.. but then i think once i get everything worked out it will be like new..
HELP thanks guys

first off dont get discouraged. wrenching is just as much a part of this hobby as running is.

what did you do before to "fix" it?

the slipper we mentioned is a large plastic gear, that is held agains a metal plate by a tension spring. if this spring is not tight the gear will just slip (its a slipper) on the plate. this is designed to be a weak point on the drive line. on a hard landing, or something this slipper will slip and not transfer that torque to the driveline. if it is loose it will slip to easily and not allow the truck to move forward.

start the truck, put your foot, or something solid in front of it. slowly apply throttle (not to much better in blips) and watch the driveline. look at the clutchbell, is it spinning? if so, is it turning the spur (large plastic gear) if so, is the shaft the spur is mounted to spinning as well? if yes, look at the driveshafts (run lengthwise on the bottom of the truck) are they turning? if yes look at the outdrives (from the diffs to the wheels) are they spinning? is any one wheel not spinning but the others are?

it sounds to me your slipper is slipping to much and you burnt up the friction pegs. It could also be a trans issue, or the diff. but if its a diff, only the front or the back wheels will spin and not the others. as roles stated, it could also be to tight of mesh at the spur and the clutch is slipping.

all i did to get it working was put my foot in front of it and started idleing it up and it eventually took off. If I knew more about what all engages to make the gears in the tranny turn i would be alot better at this hobby. I have the slipper nut all the way tight. If it was the clutches would i hear somewhat of a metal zinging? Does the clutches engage and let truck move? The little gear on the motor is spinning which makes another metal gear turn whitch makes slipper gear turn and nothing after that....thanks fellas

Is it stuck between forward and reverse? Does it have reverse installed still? If so, check the shift linkage while your at it.

ya it has reverse still i can flip the button and get it to go into reverse fine..

It moves in reverse fine? Then something is broke in the tranny. Driveline problems and slipper problems would show up with the truck in forward or reverse.

no reverse it does the same thing as when it is going forward.