steering issues, several rc's Steer left it pulls right, steer right it pulls left

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minilst2

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm trying to figure out if this is a radio or servo issue, it's happening on several of my rc cars not just one, if I steer left it will pull right and if I steer right it pulls left, can't fix it with the trim settings because if I adjust it one way the next time I turn the opposite way it just pulls more to that side.

Servo's don't need reversed, it steers left when I go left and right when I go right, But if I steer right, it goes right when I let off it pulls to the left, and if I steer left and it goes left, I let off it steers to the right. You cannot trim this out.

pulls to the right**

You mean to say the servo centers after steering?
Do you wan it to keep steering when you let the go of the steering wheel?

Please try and explain what you want it to do..

When your trim settings are correct, after you let off the steering it should continue straight in the direction it was going when you let go of the steering wheel on the pistol transmitter. Mine is weird, If I last turned to the left it will SLIGHTLY pull to the right and I can trim it back to the left to get it straight, but by doing this, next time I turn to the right it will slightly pull to the left after I let off of the transmitter. I've dealt with rc's for 15 years, I know about the servo reversing and trim adjustments something is wrong, I don't know if it's the servos or cheap radios and receivers.

I have tried several different radios that are all doing this, but I haven't tried changing all of the servo's yet, I just can't believe that all of my rc's would have bad steering servos

Let me add that it isn't just one rc car doing this either, I have noticed it on 2 or 3. I have about 15.

If its doing it on multiple kits then it has to be a radio issue. its the only common denominator. You said its a cheap one, Id try borrowing a radio receiver from a friend (or maybe just buy a new one) and try it out and see what happens.

I get that, but it's several different radios doing it, however they are all different brand 2.4ghz cheap radios.

I just added a traxxas steering servo's to one of multiple cars, i'm going to test it now, just finished up.

Seems better not 100 percent sure if it's completely fixed, wanted to bring car back in the house before I tore it up lol. Put a lot of work into this thing

Pics

Attachments

• 20170617_181231.jpg
    20170617_181231.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 20170617_181223.jpg
    20170617_181223.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 241
IDK how it can be the same problem with multiple different cars, receivers, radios, and servos. If I had to guess the only other factor that could be in common now would be something in the way your setting the kits up. Before I thought you said you were using the same radio for all the different kits.

Agreed here... Something is very off... Is it possible you have a failing battery or bad battery connection? Usually, almost always there is something that is consistent (a single piece of equipment) causing the failure.
The only thing I can really suggest here is to start over... From the very beginning. Inspect ALL components for any signs of damage... Bind the radio to the receiver. Go thru ALL settings and be sure they are correct for your application.
Check for stripped wires or loose/dirty connections on your servos as well as in the power switch wiring AND check the switch itself. Switches are common points of failure. If you are using AA batteries... Its time to upgrade! Those holders are notoriously bad! Buy a battery pack (or 2!) Whether you are using brand new pack or you already have them, be sure to charge them to 100% before testing.
Swap your servos from channel to channel (make sure your servos are disconnected physically from the car so they won't get damaged when you do this). See if the same problems are happening in only 1 channel or only 1 servo.
You need to be watching for some consistency somewhere... Let us know how it works out... This is a weird one for sure! Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Also check for binding in the linkages and for toe-in and camber if they are adjustable. On some of my micros, the tie-rod ends can strip out in the plastic and cause it to do weird things like you are describing.

If this is an issue of the components hanging up, also check the condition of the pillow balls and or pins in the steering. They could be too tight or need lube as well as just needing replacement

Would binding really be an issue here? If he's saying after turning one way it's pulling in the opposite direction I would think there would be no binding whatsoever. What happens when you turn the wheel with your RC off the ground, when it's centering does it center or go beyond centering in the opposite direction? Maybe your servos aren't centered or your servo throws are just really big?

Kind of throwing this out there because I am thinking I might be missing something. There seems to be a lack of consistency in the issue so just putting some ideas on the table