Sportwerks Turmoil .26/.21 Carburetor on a Mach427 - Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARDV8

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have just fitted a Sportwerks Turmoil .26/.21 Carburetor on my Mach427 in the LST2

With this carb the settings seem a lot more sensative than on the one that came with the Mach427.

I though tuning would be easy with this carb, after reading good reviews of it. I have the 9mm insert.

On the carb that came with the Mach427, I used to run at about one and half turns out on the LSN and two and half turns out on the HSN. I would fine tune for weather etc, but it ran well.

Thought I'd go for a Sportwerks Turmoil .26/.21 Carb to increase performance.

But, tuning seems strange. I started off with similar settings on the LSN and HSN. The engine wouldn't start. So I opened the LSN another full turn and it fired up, but gave the impression of running rich with the amount of fuel coming out the exhaust, and the engine shutting off if I gave it wide open.

So, I went for factory settings for the LST2, two turns out on the LSN, four turns out on the HSN, fired again, but give it wide open and the engine shuts off straight away.

So, thought might be a bit rich, started leaning out the HSN, no difference.

Engine will tick over, but give it wide open and it shuts off.

I've tried many combinations now on the LSN and HSN and still can't get a good tune.

I've checked for air leaks by pressurising the block, fuel tank, exhaust etc, all is sealed.

It is probably that I have missed the HSN, LSN ideal combination.

Just wondered if anyone runs this set up and could give me their settings on the LSN and HSN so I have a starting point.

I can normally get a tune out of most engines, but this one is causing problems.

Thanks for any help on this one

Return it to the setting where it ran. Let it come up to temp, then adjust your LSN till you get a good idle, and a good take off. When that's good, adjust only the HSN for WOT. If you lean it and it still cuts out, richen it till it comes to life.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go and post back - much appreciated

The 9mm insert does make the engine a little finickier. Get it in the ballpark with a smaller insert. Then put the 9mm back in. I ran a S.W.26 in my Savvy a while back, that 9mm insert made the mid to top really come alive.

It's alive, I sealed around the back of the carb, and replaced the fuel lines for a slightly bigger diameter, then it tuned well. Really opens up the Mach427