Savage XL Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOS

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bought the Savage XL not too long ago and broke it in just fine. I'm probably about 8-10 tanks in by now. My issue is whenever I apply throttle, the engine stalls. I've try letting it idle for a couple of minutes, still no luck. Any ideas?

Also, I haven't tuned the car yet, so everything is at factory settings.:whhooo:

as @Rolex said read the stickie ,from what you are saying its still rich and is flooding when you try to give it a bit try leaning the hsn a touch until it stop stalling then check your temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also suggest to lean it out some and whatever you do avoid adjusting the mid range needle. Hpi suggests not to touch that. Another tip I would have is to ditch the R5 glow plug and put in a hot plug like the McCoy 59. It made a hell of a difference with my 5.9 and I was having similar problems except that no matter what I did with the R5 in there it didn't make a difference.

Followed that chart EXACTLY, it still stalls. Even when I adjust the idle trim on the controller it dies... Even when I barely tap the throttle, it dies... I don't know what to do, please help! This is really frustrating.

Last edited:
Turn the throttle trim all the way off. Adjust the carb opening to 1 or 2 mm with the trigger in the full brake position. Get it started and let it warm up. Put the nose against something and start blipping the throttle while adjusting the LSN. If it gets worse while richening it, keep blipping while leaning it. When it stays running start to adjust the HSN for WOT (Wide Open Throttle).
You'll need to adjust the HSN for daily changes in temp and humidity, but usually the LSN can stay the same.

Also when adjusting the needles think of clock faces and adjust about 1 hour at a time.

I've been trying to tune this thing for 2 hours now... Still can't get it

Time to set it on a shelf and do something else for a bit. It usually helps to something else for a short while when you're frustrated.

When you get back to it, reset the high and low needles back to the original factory settings and start trying to dial in the tune.

You may have an air leak which means you'll have to seal the engine. For this you'll need some team associated green slime and some automotive rtv sealant.

regarding the stall.....adjust the idle to a .07 to .1 mm opening, then adjust your linkeages so when the brakes are applied, the carb isnt completely closed. to do so: disconnect the arm from the servo. turn on radio, hit the throttle a few times, center the throttle trim buttonn, hit the throttle a couple more times and re-install linleage arm to servo. and then try to get a tune i found its good to do the steering too, if its a new truck

Also running it that rich for so many tanks check your glow plug and make sure it isn't fowled up.

Back