savage x gas conversion .31 gas engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
guy guys,

so i just managed to snag a dynamite .31 gas/petrol engine

i'm going to see if i can fit it into my savage,

a few questions, before i get started

1 - could i keep the stock fuel tank and just change the lines since it uses a rubber o'ring seal?
if not could someone recommend a suitable tank that i could fit in its place

2 - fuel filter, I'm using a fastrax87 priming filter, could i continue to use it since its aluminum and rubber?
if not again could some one recommend a priming filter

3 - would 2.5mm internal diameter fuel pipe be ok to use http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPU-Clear...079423?hash=item5d5a5e2b3f:g:XDQAAOSwu4BVkmBH

before i go about ordering parts I'm going to wait for the engine to arrive

pics will follow once the engine arrives and i can get to work with figuring out the fit

Watching... make sure you post pics, I'd like to see how it comes out!

How are you going to start it? I have a Losi 8ght-T with the dynamite engine and it's bump start.

ok engine should be here wednesday or thursday, paypal email was incorrect resulting in a bit of a payment issue was sorted out within an hour but delayed shipping

ordered 2.5mm internal diameter fuel line,

will be removing my engine tomorrow and giving the truck a bit of a clean then will post pics as soon as the engine arrives i got an idea of where i'm going to fit the CDI
i have to make an extension cable to run from my aux port to the CDI since i'm already running dual batteries

ok engine arrived, I'm going to need to convert to xl chassis plates to fit the engine its just slightly too big to fit the rotostart hangs up on the rear bulkhead

also need a little extra space to make holes to reposition the engine mount

here are the pics of the engine if the flywheel was thinner so the clutch bell could sit back a little farther it would work with no mods but because of that it needs to sit roughly 6mm back and on the savage X that space isn't there

i got an idea to mod the engine mount plate that would involve moving the holes that mount it to the chassis braces its just an idea though and no matter what i decide to do i still need the xl chassis and drive shaft to clear the rear bulkhead
another idee would be to rotate the plate and the excess aluminium that should give the required clearance for the flywheel
99028.jpg

here are the engine pics the crank cases are roughly the same size the dynamite engine has a longer shaft and thicker flywheel

IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG

edit, 1

so new update, XL chassis and centre dog bones have been ordered, but not payed for just yet need to call paypal and fix my bank account info, telling me to authorize the direct debit over and over annoyingly

i got a few more ideas of how to get clearance for the flywheel but going to wait on the XL chassis before i decide on a plan of action

if i can't figure anything out i will just keep my savage as an XL and just sell the engine

edit, 2

ok so my paypal issue is fixed so payed for the xl chassis and centre dog bones,
they should be sent tomorrow hopefully, coming from germany via DHL so should be within 7 days give or take

more pictures will follow, going to mod the engine mount plate tomorrow then show my work

Last edited:
ok bit of an update,

xl chassis arrived everything has now been transferred to the XL chassis, 2 speed XL ftw lol

I'm going to check clearance and fitment in a few days after my foot has recovered from the gouty arthritis that hit me last week in too much pain to do anything until that clears up

ok so bit of an update, did some research while dealing with some things,

looks like you could use the original engine mount for this engine but would need to cut some space out of the mount plate for the flywheel clearance, and use a low tooth clutch bell 13/14T

( not my thread found this on another form http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151107 ) not much info in it though

due to some personal circumstances i've had to cancel what i had planned,

out of this atleast my truck is now converted to an XL in length and with thanks to the integy axle extenders

@craig911 thanks for taking the time to update us. Whatever personal circumstances you're dealing with, I wish you the best. If by chance I can do anything to help, even if it's just a new ear to chew on, drop me a line.

Back