Savage Heavy Cup Joint

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnm

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This is weird, it takes around 1 to 2 gallons of running the savage and then I would have to replace the center heavy duty Cup Joints coming out of the center drive train and the ones that connect to the differentials, they just wear out very badly that I have no choice but to replace the cup joints... is this normal wear and tear or is there something I am missing? The ones that connect to the dog bones which move the tires seem to be in perfect working condition after replacing the center cup joints for the second time. It’s just weird… now that I have some MIP center Drives I only have to worry about one set of cup joints.

Image of a worn out cup joint:

The cups on my savage look exactlly the same.My drive's are fine but all the cups look like that.

Swap out the front outdrive cup from the transmission and purchase the dual disk brake set. Use the hub from the brake set and swap it out for the front outdrive cup. You'll end up with an extra set of disks and pads when the stock ones wear out. The brake hub is much harder than the front outdrive cup and will not wear out over time. There is a slight weight penalty for this swap.

Mine looked like that too. What I did was used o-rings to take any back and forth slop out of the dogbones. This limits the vibration of the shafts and nearly eliminated my problem. My new ones have been on for nearly 4 gallons with almost no wear.

sweetdiesel said:
Swap out the front outdrive cup from the transmission and purchase the dual disk brake set. Use the hub from the brake set and swap it out for the front outdrive cup. You'll end up with an extra set of disks and pads when the stock ones wear out. The brake hub is much harder than the front outdrive cup and will not wear out over time. There is a slight weight penalty for this swap.

Mine wore out after a couple gallons were run through it. It did last quite a while, but I don't feel that it lasted any longer than the HD chrome ones do.

Try using a dry graphite or wax based lube for your cups. It helps them last longer. Just be careful not to get any on your brake disk... made that mistake with white lightning. Took a long time for the brakes to actually work again.

olds97_lss said:
Mine wore out after a couple gallons were run through it. It did last quite a while, but I don't feel that it lasted any longer than the HD chrome ones do.

Mine lasted the life of my Savage. Were you using the MIP center CVDs in conjunction with the front and rear brake hub setup?

No. At the time, I was using HPI's or Hot Bodies CVD's. So there was still very little slop to cause the hard banging dog-bones do. I'm running black dogbones now with chrome HD trans cups and stock center diff cups.

I run RDL cvd's on the wheels.

olds97_lss said:
No. At the time, I was using HPI's or Hot Bodies CVD's. So there was still very little slop to cause the hard banging dog-bones do. I'm running black dogbones now with chrome HD trans cups and stock center diff cups.

I run RDL cvd's on the wheels.

Are we talking about center drive cups or diff cups? I had no idea that HPI/Hotbodies put out a set of center CVDs. I should note that the brake hubs are from the dual disk brake set, not the older single disk cup setup.

The cvd cups. That's what your referencing with the brake hub/hex/cup right?

Yeah, they do/did make a center of center CVD's. HPI (Rear, Front), HB (Rear, Front), New Era sold HB sets, integy (Front/Rear) and dynamite had a set.

Oh... and RD Logics. I found those at my LHS though.

olds97_lss said:
The cvd cups. That's what your referencing with the brake hub/hex/cup right?

Yeah, they do/did make a center of center CVD's. HPI (Rear, Front), HB (Rear, Front), New Era sold HB sets, integy (Front/Rear) and dynamite had a set.

Oh... and RD Logics. I found those at my LHS though.

I thought that MIP was the only manufacturer that made center CVDs for the Savage. Thanks for clearing that up. :cheers:

Last edited:
Yeah, right now i am Using MIP Center drives, and they seem to work well, and i am getting less wear and tear on the drive cups. we will see how long they live.

Front:

Rear

Back