Savage 2 speed tranny help?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfpack

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I just bought a new 2 speed tranny and have a few questions? on the side with the spur gear it says to use the diff cup number 86272 is it the same diff cup on oppsite side? also the shifter rod that goes into tranny has a brass collar do i have to open tranny to put it in or what do i do? any help would be greatly appreciated...Terry

The drive cup on the rear is different as it has a hex to accommodate the brake discs.

Are you talking about the 'shifter' rod, or the brake actuating rod?

Thats the brake cam. It will go in wirhout taking the case apart, but the brakes will have to come off.

thanks highxj and sv250 that helps alot... sv250 didn't you do a trans build? can you send me it? Terry

Check the stickies in this sec. Frickenjoey did a nice write up on it.

on the side with the spur gear it says to use the diff cup number 86272 is it the same diff cup on oppsite side?

Depends on the truck. If you have HPI metal dual brakes, then the rear uses this cup/hex hybrid.

If your truck has the dual pink brake disks then it uses larger milled milled/hex cup.

If you have an older rig that has a single brake, then the cup is the same as the front as they used a plastic molded hex over the rear cup for the brake disk to key into.