Redcat Racing... Help Please...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Grimm

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am curious if anyone here has had any experience with this company, I have read a few reviews online that I found (of old vehicles) and they all sound good but I would like to know what you all think. Right now I am in limbo between two vehicles, the Shockwave and the Tornado S30. So tell me what you guys think. Thank you for all your help.

Your better off saving money and purchasing a better quality brand like hpi, Traxxas, team associated, or Losi. If you do enough searching on here you will find some threads related to the durability issue's with Red cat products. Also there are not much in the way of aftermarket parts available for the redcat rigs.

Last edited:
My redcat was a P.O.S... I had to rework 90% of it to run anywhere near decent. Tranny, cage, front suspension all failed rather quickly. AVOID this company, or spend 4 times what you would on an AE, HPI, or Losi to make it fun. Shaun

I agree with the hulk completely

Out of the others recommended...be a bit careful with Traxxas. For every person who says RedCat is crap. there is one who will tel you Traxxas is just a step above RedCat/Exceed...yet the price point is on par with vehicles of higher quality (i.e. they are over-priced). Just saying this because they have a strong marketing campaign, folks get suckered in.

You can get an OFNA Hyper 7 TQ Sport for under $300. It's the most durable RTR 1/8 nitro vehicle on the market. It handles like crap and the stock engine/pipe/servos are meh....but when you are ready you can upgrade cause you sure won't be spending money on broken parts with this vehicle.

I would recommend just buy a traxxas. If you can't afford a Traxxas you should save up. Traxxas is a better brand than Red Cat.

I would recommend just buy a traxxas. If you can't afford a Traxxas you should save up. Traxxas is a better brand than Red Cat.

This is true. I'm an AE fan at heart but for bashing purposes my Slash has taken a massive beating and just keeps coming back for more.

My Slayer Pro and Revo have taken some pretty good hits and keep goin plus the parts support is massive and parts can be bought anywhere! You could always look at the Losi Mini T and Mini 8, they can take a beating and are super reasonable on price. The Losi SCT 10 is just over $300 which is way cheaper than the Traxxas too!

My T Maxx's get beat and crashed and just keep coming back for more. My nephew's slash has seen more than its share of abuse and it still goes like a champ. My boy's 1/16 revo has also been crashed in ways I did not know were possible and it still runs great. I would not discourage anyone from getting Traxxas.

Very true...but OFNA is a better brand (and less expensive) than Traxxas. At least the Hyper 7 for damn sure. Just my opinion. ;-)

I have shockwave, S30 and XTR, all Red Cat and they run great. Yeah.. I had to tweak them from time to time but no major parts replacements. The S30 is awesome with the 2-speed gearing... very fast once it hits RPM setting transitions to 2nd gear.

I'd stay away, save your money and get something from HPI, Traxxas, Losi or Ofna...

I have been in to this hobby going on 20 years, i have had many nitros and tbh i have sold off all my cars/trucks and i was in the market for a new rc. I understand with a limited budget most people will say save or buy used. I think that is the right idea but i have done the used rc thing and i sure am not saving which means i am waiting longer lol. So with that being said i bought a NEW redcat shockwave the other day. I wanna say this most of the neg reviews are do to user error. Sure screws backing out and the dog bones coming out are a pain but there is glue and you can use fuel tubing or a O ring for the dog bone issue. As far as part support you can do a simple web search and you will find your rc and the parts that are offered . I do wanna add the issue with the redcats is the metal parts they use on there rtr's. There prone to bending but tbh there is a few shock tower upgrades so its not that much of a issue. The stock tires are not great but redcat uses 12mm so you are not limited to just keep buying the stock wheels/tires . I look at the shockwave an it sure is not up to date as fair as the motor/header/tune pipe but for a sub 175.00 rtr to ya door you kinda have to keep a open mind. I know with the way i brake in motors and how i care for my rc's i should be ok keeping my shockwave in working order.

I go away for a bit and every other thread is about redcat and every single thread has the same posts in it. I think it's time to start searching.

I go away for a bit and every other thread is about redcat and every single thread has the same posts in it. I think it's time to start searching.
I think it's time for them to start searching or doing a quick google search to find out other peoples opinions on them.

I think it's time for them to start searching or doing a quick google search to find out other peoples opinions on them.

It's also digging up a 2 year old thread from May of 2014 and none of the opinions regarding Redcat have changed in that time.
The search function is your friend.

It's also digging up a 2 year old thread from May of 2014 and none of the opinions regarding Redcat have changed in that time.
The search function is your friend.
I need another watch. I was all pleased with myself too when I avoided one that was dug up from 3 years ago...to then post in a 2 year old thread...

I didn't even realize how old it was when I responded. Guess it did get searched

I need another watch. I was all pleased with myself too when I avoided one that was dug up from 3 years ago...to then post in a 2 year old thread...
Not really your fault. You posted after a new post that had been posted by a posting archaeologist.