Redcat Racing 1/5th scale Rampage XT Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior4Jesus

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
I read a few not so good reviews about RR but I wondered how you guys thought now? I have been watching quite a few videos on what others think and have found fairly good reviews on such a well priced gas 5th scaler. Let me know what you guys think... Thanks.

DON"T DO IT!

Redcat likes to use the consumer for its quality control.

DON"T DO IT!

Redcat likes to use the consumer for its quality control.
I gather that but there arm to be very positive reviews of that particular truck. Any actual real world xp with it?

There are several Redcat RCs out there. Don't get ANY of them...PLEASE. We're here to guide you.
But why. I have only seen one negative review of if anywhere.

Do a search here. Too many problems.

First of all, find a local hobby shop that carries them and all their parts and support. When you give up on that, go with a brand name that we are all familiar with. Good reviews are posted by first time RC guys who think it's the coolest thing ever. Well, it is, but after a while the novelty wears off and the truck wears out and they get out of the hobby due to wasting their money and time on a cheapie.

I am so persistent in my question because it's about the only 1/5 th scale I'll ever be able to afford.

I am so persistent in my question because it's about the only 1/5 th scale I'll ever be able to afford.
Sounds logical, but it is not. The cheap affordable ones will cost you a fortune in the long run and you'll be really fed up with the hobby when you can't get parts for them.

I guess i should just not get into 1/5th scale. I cannot afford an hpi. I was going to sell my emaxx and my arrma fury pls maybe an iPad air 2 to pay for it. If any read the about me in my profile you know finances are very tight and i get my rcs wheeling and dealing. So perhaps i should just sit it out. 1300 dollars vs 500 dollars.

If your dead set on it, maybe look for a used known brand on ebay. I sold my baja SS a couple years ago for $600 to someone on this forum I think. I had twice that into it... and an ER bill from when I was putting it together... or fixing it, can't recall which. Drilled a hole in my hand because I'm a moron.

I think I only drove it 15-20 times. Once I ran it, I found I didn't have anywhere fun to run it. And since I live in an apartment, I had nowhere to store it after running it. The thing stunk like gas and would stink up our apartment for 3 days every time I fired it up. So, take that in account too.

I live I the middle of nowhere and have a huge garage. It's all good. Money is the issue. And after my tmaxx i refuse to buy another used rc.

If you can find one from a reputable seller (like this forum or our sister forum Largescaleforums.com), you shouldn't have a problem. I bought my HPI Baja-5b from another forum member and have not been sorry. (Thanks again, @Nitrobuzzard).

They are BIG and they are AMAZING and the fuel is cheap compared to nitro. BIG engines, big wheels, big tires, big clutches, big servos, big shocks, etc, etc. Each one of those parts is quality, made to take the abuse.
That's what makes them expensive. I've wanted one for years, but $1300 is a BIG pile of bucks to lay out for an RC car. I also live in an apartment and if I kept gas in here, I'd be out of here.
The cheap 'no name' brands have cheap servos and when one of them strips out the gears...and it WILL...you'll pay a couple of hundred to get a REAL servo. That goes for all the parts. Upgrading everything that breaks will cost you WAY over $1300 in the long run. Stick a hundred bucks in a secret spot every month, just $25 a week, and in just over a year you can get the best and not feel the strain.

Nah it's ok. I'm just not going to.

There are 1/8 Scale gassers such as the Savage Octane.

I've owned off brand 1/5 RC's. And, as @hamz9561 mentioned, the HPI 5B I sold him. With the 5B there was no question as my LHS carried them and replacement parts, not that I ever needed them. The "other" 1/5 I had was an on road. I got it because I could not afford, or justify, the $3K for a trusted name, I quickly regretted my decision. Not only was the car not very well built, but finding replacement parts for it were NON-EXISTENT. I needed a lower a-arm for the rear, couldn't find a set anywhere. So, I sold the car and learned my lesson.

If you want to go big, save your money to get something you will enjoy using.

-Nitro

So here's the deal. Finances are tight. Truth be told i probably shouldn't even buy a fifth scale due to cost and the fact that the need for cash around here supersedes it. My plan was to sell my 2 electric cars and buy a 500 dollar fifth scale. Either a rovan km2000, or a red cat rampage. I was gonna go red cat because they have good reviews by people that seem like they know what they are talking about (excluding you guys). I also like the Mt look to them. I hate the buggy look and do not want a buggy. Back to the money part. If i sell my electric trucks and have 500 dollars laying around i will either have to buy a truck or save it. If i try to save it i can promise that it will end up going elsewhere. Because to save the additional 800 dollars would take far too long when our total household income is only 1100 dollars a month. Which isn't enough anyway Read my profile you will understand. So anyway it was the only way i could afford one. But if you guys don't recommend them I'll keep my electrics and just not buy a fifth scale truck. It's that simple really. I don't have to have one. Thank you all for your ideas and input. You quite possibly saved me from a lot of heartache.

There are 1/8 Scale gassers such as the Savage Octane.
Cost almost as much and I've read moor bad reviews about then than i have the red cat. Also they are discontinued.

Hi I'm also planning to buy a redcat rampage... Whats the difference between the MT Pro and the rampage MT GR aside from their prices?

Back