Preferred short course truck?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Preferred Short Course Truck?

• Traxxas slash

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Associated sc10

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • HPI Blitz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tower Hobbies Cutback

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy Wolf

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I don't really know how to do this poll thing, I'm just testing it out, but please answer anyway! I'm trying not to start a whole Traxxas vs. Associated vs HPI thing (there are enough of those) so please don't start an argument.:D

It really depends what you want to do with it. Just a basher, I'd go Traxxas simply for parts availability. If you want to race, I'd buy Tekno or Losi. And Associated for an entry level racer.

If racing check with your local track. There was a track here not to far away that did short course truck racing and only allowed stock Traxxas Slash's so that pretty much decided what you'd buy. Otherwise I can pretty much agree with everything that @Rooky78 just posted above.

If you are mainly racing, the sc10 is very stable and performs perfect on a track, where as the slash takes some tuning to get near the stability of an sc10. If you are bashing, Slash all the way. The other two arent anything Id have on a list with the slash and the sc10. The slash also has "good" hardware haha. I'm a fan of 3mm hardware, none of that weirdo Associated/losi stuff :)

I would get a losi, but they are so expensive, and they don't offer a brushed, which is really all I need.

I should have mentioned that both the local tracks here have a stock Slash class, and I'm thinking most tracks do.
And the downside to Losi and Tekno is definitely that they are aimed at gnar-core racers. So "budget" is really out the window with them.

Don't feel too bad. I've made a decision on my next rig. Believe me, yours is cheaper. Lol! :doh:

I've noticed once you get more involved, you spend more. which is why I get a new model every 2 years or so..... Gives me more time to think (since I have severe buyer's remorse) and that's about how long it takes me to save up 200-300$.

I decided on 1/5th scale. Lol. Or another Savage.

Oh man, when you said 1/5, I instantly thought no matter how cheap it is mine will always be less expensive....:hehe:

I sold my HPI 5sc, and the I ordered a losi 5ive-T roller, it just going to sit there until I figure out which parts I was buy for it

I know there are many haters out there because of 1/5th clones, but if you are on a budget, thats they way to go.

Its a reality, its going to pull some cash, four sets of tires are around 100 dollars, and thats not including inserts and wheels.
You save on the engine, 130 for a KM or Fuelie 30.5cc engine is not bad, well maintained will last easy 3 to 4 yrs of bashing. Also the fuel costs compared to nitro, and batteries, glow plug. Its like any hobby or sport, scuba diving, or cycling, or even a 1/8th RC, it will have that first dent in your wallet, but it all settles down after a few months. I would stay away from buying 2nd hand unless you know the owner of the truck, baja.

Dont let all those videos talking negative about clones stir you away, those are old videos or simply haters.

I bent the chassis on the 1/5th truck, $130.00, plus some A-arms and diff housing, a total of 200, but in a way it was my fault. Many people want to jump them 10 to 20 feet in the area, imagine, about 40 pounds of mass at thirty to forty miles per hour, of course something is going to break.

I bought the sC10, And i'm glad I did. I don't have a lot of experience, but when I opened the box, i could tell it was nice. It accelates faster than my dad's arrma fury, but not as fast, I guess thats 17.5 turn motor vs 15 turn (won't tell everything planning a review, when I have time. :) ). I've been gone for a while the reason being summer break and everything lots to do, places to be, to put it simply. Thank you guys for all your help choosing!!!! :thumbs-up: Next an onroad or MT!!:p (hmm but before that I may need some batteries that aren't worn out so much that they don't let me reverse)

Back