power supply

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

I am looking to pick up a new power supply to run my dual charger. It has to be a minimum of 300W and a recommended 400W. The $300+ power supplies are out of my budget so that is the challenging part. I want something that travels easy to and from the track. I have a 40 amp supply at home but it is too bulky to transport to and from races and it takes up a lot of room in the tote. I was just hoping you guys had some good recommendations. Thanks

Tom

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can mod a computer power supply to do what you need. There is a lot of info0 on the net on how to. These can be found for less than $50 used.

That's interesting... I have never heard of that before. I'm in IT and have a few 400W supplies just sitting around my shop. I never thought that I could mod them. I am not the best with an iron... but it is definitely worth looking into.

It's really no worse than soldering on battery connectors.

From what I have read so far the modded PSU's are not different than the commercially available power supplies... just not the fancy case or displays. In fact in some cases they may be better power supplies. My only fear would be that I did something wrong and fried my $300 duo charger.

Hey Guys,

I am looking to pick up a new power supply to run my dual charger. It has to be a minimum of 300W and a recommended 400W. The $300+ power supplies are out of my budget so that is the challenging part. I want something that travels easy to and from the track. I have a 40 amp supply at home but it is too bulky to transport to and from races and it takes up a lot of room in the tote. I was just hoping you guys had some good recommendations. Thanks

Tom
Check this website. I have bought from them and they have fast shipping.

http://www.progressiverc.com/power-supplies/dc-power-supplies/12-17v-supplies

I use games console supplies, the xbox 360 is quite good from what i have heard but i went with the playstation 3 supplies because nobody had done that one..

laptop power supplies are ideal. they are small, people generally throw away the old ones which are usually a touch bigger, but dish out more amps.

i have an old dell 12v 18A one that i use. just chop the plug and sort out the wires. mine had 3 blac and 3 red, 1 small blue and another small white one. can't remember exactly how i did it as it was a while ago but solder the 3 red together and separately the 3 black, and either the blue or white goes to the ground or power to turn the power supply on.

works great, its reasonably small, plastic on the outside (dont have to worry about earthing poop on it) and pretty tough.

Back