plug eating revo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raging Revo

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
My Revo has been eating up igniters, I've just replaced the 2nd one a few days ago and its gone bad, its the spare Traxxas sends in the RTR kit. What causes GP's to go bad? running rich?? My 5yr old Rushler's on it's 2nd GP.

My Revo has been eating up igniters, I've just replaced the 2nd one a few days ago and its gone bad, its the spare Traxxas sends in the RTR kit. What causes GP's to go bad? running rich?? My 5yr old Rushler's on it's 2nd GP.

That's weird ,do they look toasty like fried ,or does the little coil look intact an don't glow?
If its toasty & fried ,then your probably too lean.

I suggest you post a pic of the plug.

I suggest you post a pic of the plug.
Snagged this from somewhere to help give you an idea what your looking for:

2016-0509-glowPlugExample01.jpg

1. The engine was set too lean, this glowplug is overheated you can see the coil distorted and eventually will break
  2. This glowplug is from a good working engine with a perfect fuel mixture.
  3. The engine was set rich, the spiral is black due to the excessive fuel in the chamber, this engine will start very hard and does not run smooth.
  4. This one is old and used alot, time for a new one, the extra thing you can see is that the spiral is rather white, this means that the setup of the engine fuel mixture was ok

Yes, new. Thanks guy's for your input. I ordered 5 GP's and took a pic of the bad one, I'll post it soon.

I replaced my glowplug maybe an hours worth of running a few days ago, I went out and ran a tank and 1/4 and the glowplug blew again, here it is straight out of the Revo;

I tried posting a pic but the site will not allow me. I'll go ahead different route.

13179242_10206478893199744_1913743354736496217_n.jpg

Last edited:
How many tanks have your revo gone through?

Here is the pic

If you cannot see it well enough I can crop it.

Here is the pic

If you cannot see it well enough I can crop it.

I can't really see it too well.
Is the little filament getting distorted?
Try using 2 brass washers on the glo-plug!
I've had to do that before on a engine that kept blowing plugs.
My plugs were getting distorted like it was the compression destroying
the coil in the plug.

Here's a closeup, you can click on it to get it to magnify.

13221593_10206480219552902_8161643595954605723_n.jpg

My guess is that as clean as the gp's are I was a bit lean but I got a nice stream of smoke and it ran great and idled perfect when coming out of wot. I'm waiting on 6 new gp's from China so I'll wait for them before running the Revo again.

My guess is that as clean as the gp's are I was a bit lean but I got a nice stream of smoke and it ran great and idled perfect when coming out of wot. I'm waiting on 6 new gp's from China so I'll wait for them before running the Revo again.

Whats weird ,is it don't look bad!

It makes a person want to question the fuel that they are using!

What fuel are you using ,nitro count & oil?

Too much oil can foul a plug.too less nitro wont allow it to get hot enough to burn
the eccess oil off!

Blue thunder racing 20%

I run 30 % on all of my engines!..Now there will be some controversy on that ,but I feel that 20%
doesn't burn hot enough, an I always have issues with the low percent of nitro

The oil content is merely a lube for friction an internal heat ,once it goes or gets past the piston ,
it is worthless an it doesn't burn off too well ,by using the right amount of nitro % will help burn
the ecessive oil off that will foul a plug.

My suggestion is,to run a higher nitro %!
The weather temps could have something to do with the way the fuel & oil burns..

I've heard not so great things about Blue Thunder. I run Byrons 20, and have run O'Donnells in the past.

I don't remember what I bought when I first got my Rustler but it's still on its first gp, but that gallons gone and it was pink fuel.

Rooky, I can't blame the fuel, I have to blame the tune at this point.

@Raging Revo I didn't mean to 'blame' the fuel as such. I'm sorry, I should have clarified that a bit. Personally, my Revo I can't keep a good tune on. I've only cooked a couple plugs with it, though, and those were from either poor tuning, extreme temps or both.