One for the Rattlers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
First off let me say, I'm not a painting expert by any means. My paint jobs are usually 50/50 paint jobs. :hehe: But Pactra has come out with some nice new rattle can paints. I tried one of the colors out and really liked it so I thought I would share my experience.

For my body I used the Pro-Line Early 50's truck body. I usually don't but since most experts recommend it, this time I trimmed and fit the body to the truck first.
Like this:
bodyfit.JPG

For the painting, I decided I would try some chrome trim using SpazStix in rattle can form. So I masked off what I wanted, old school tape and paper style. Someday I gotta try the liquid mask.

body2.JPG

After spraying the chrome, I remasked the bed to make it black too. Since the chrome needs black backing, I could do both at the same time :)
Now for the new Pactra paint. I choose the Cobalt Blue. Right away I noticed this paint was different. Very thin and not what you expect to see in color. The color coats left me wondering if I was doing something wrong. It was very milky/opaque looking.

body3.JPG

A couple of things to be learned here. Allow plenty of time, shake the can extra well and use many LIGHT coats. I didn't and ended up with a few areas where it was obviously not right. On with the painting. The second stage for this paint is also a black backing.

body4.JPG

When you start spraying the backing, WOW! the color really come to life. Not only is it a metallic looking finish, it is also has pearl like finish. Really nice from arattle can IMO. As most of you know. it's hard to get good pics of nice paint jobs, but here's my attempts.

body5.JPG

donefront.JPG

donerear.JPG

If you use rattle cans, check out the colors in this line up. Good stuff in my opinion! :)

good job bro, looks good!

Not too shabby, looks pretty good. From the pics, I would have never guessed it was a rattle can.

That looks like a nice color even from photos. I'm diggin' it. Good job Randy! You've officially graduated from rattle can 101. Time for rattle can 202. :)

That turned out real nice. That cobalt blue is sweet looking on the truck.

Looks great man! Turned out really nice. I wish I went to the VBS you're jumping at.

Thanks guys! What can I expect in 202 Josh?

Really, the pics hide a few things, but like I said it's a good 50/50 paint job. You guys do know what that means right?

That's a cool lookin lid! I'm not too sure about that paint job but the lid is pretty cool.;)

Great job! It just goes to show that you don't need an expensive airbrush to do a good looking lid.

good looking lid and hey if there is a few marks or what not in it well it dont really matter as long as ur happy with it. As far as i would be concerned its only going to get scratched up when you run it anyways