Ok you 2nd amendment guys, I have a question? Look like Mike’s car where was it on the news?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about the BP 12. The SKS is a great rifle. NOT an AK clone, it's the predecessor to the AK. I would trust an SKS to defend my life, more so than most modern rifles. It's been battle proven. I own a couple of each variety of SK's and their value differs greatly from one varient to another. If it's numbers matching, meaning not pieced together from parts, and un modified, they can be pretty valuable. I was at a local gunshow recently and beat up SK's were selling in the 1k range.

My opinion differs greatly from some of the above. I wont hesitate to biy a used firearm as long as I can inspect it. I have a friend in law enforcement that will run the #s for me to verify its not stolen. I would never waste my time and money on an FFL transfer to buy used guns. The less uncle sam knows, the better. JMHO

In the 90's I bought at least a dozen for sub $200 and most of them came with bulk ammo. I'm pretty shocked at what they sell for now. Also pretty pleased since I could sell one for what I paid for a dozen.

The SK, in my opinion, is a better platform than the AK. Machined steel vs. Stamped. The SK is far more accurate, and has a more reliable gas system. Not to say AK's aren't reliable, just not as reliable.

Both are good rifles and your right, the 7.62x39 is a great cartridge and still pretty cheap to shoot.
Any gun that goes bang evertime I pull the trigger and shoots straight is good in my book. Sks is a $75 gun and always will be to me. First rifle my dad bought me when I was 13yrs old. Still in box with lil canteen and drenched in cosmoline for $75. Mine was a picky eater. My AK just ate every type of ammo. Friend had the complete opposite experience.

Last edited:
The 04 Lincoln Navigators have bad bad issues with the rear IRS diffs. Anything is better. I'd take a Arrma Kraton for a trade. Those are good guns tho. I agree with Chubaka. Only way I'll buy a used gun is from a credited licensed gun dealer/store.
And even licensed gun dealer guns can be questionable. New is all I do .

Interesting. I'm not an AK guy, so I can't dispute it. I just recall around early 1990's when these things were selling for only $200, and people were in a frenzy buying them. I recall hearing that they were cheap Chinese knock-offs of the renowned Kalashnikov rifles.
A coworker had one and let me tried it out. That 7.62 caliber is a beast!
I think you are confusing an SKS with the MAK-90... Chinese SKS were $89 new in the box when the Mak 90 was $189

I think you are confusing an SKS with the MAK-90... Chinese SKS were $89 new in the box when the Mak 90 was $189
No, I'm definitely referring to the SKS. At least that's what I was told. I've never even heard of a MAK90. The price are what the people, whom I knew, bought their's for.

Both of these are cheapo guns, money wise. Not great quality wise, but works fine. I wouldn't depend on them as defensive weapons. Too unreliable. But, fun at the range!
The SKS is essentially an AK47 clone and is powerful af. The BP12 is a Turkish built semi auto shotgun. It comes standard with 5 round mags, but you can get 10, 20, and I think even a 50r drum. I have essentially the same thing under the ATI brand. A lot of fun for a stupid low retail price of $350!
View attachment 187172
And with one of these, 7/11's are a breeze to get a discounted Slurpee and Chicken Burritos:hehe:

No, I'm definitely referring to the SKS. At least that's what I was told. I've never even heard of a MAK90. The price are what the people, whom I knew, bought their's for.
Well, after a quick Google search, it appears I was misinformed or misunderstood about the gun I was using. I've never shot anything that looks like an SKS, and I definitely shot what looks exactly like an AK47.

SKS
Screenshot_20240403_190055.jpg

MAK 90
Screenshot_20240403_190157.jpg

Both of the rifles in your pics have been modified and I'm pretty sure the bottom one is a Romanian AK, not a mak90. The SK pictured is either modified to accept detachable mags or is the very rare SKS M. I've been trying to add a #s matching Sks m to my collection for a long time. I'm starting to think it won't happen. Regardless, their both a blast to shoot.

The SKS and AK47 were developed practically hand-in-hand. The idea was that the AK would substitute submachine guns in service, and the SKS would substitute rifles.

The Russians soon realized the AK can do both so the SKS was relegated to parade use.

They wanted to make the AK stamped all along but ran into technological problems they couldn’t solve at the time so they went for a milled receiver for the time being. After they developed the stamped receiver further, they adopted it and a few other improvements as the AKM and never looked back.

Stamped vs. milled doesn’t define the accuracy or durability of the rifle. Milled ones can be inaccurate and stamped ones can be accurate – for an AK. The 5.56 and 5.45 calibers are usually more accurate than 7.62x39 no matter which receiver they have.

I’ve had a genuine Izmash Saiga M3 Exp-01B (essentially an AK103 without a folding stock and a middle position for the lever on the right) for 20 years and I think very highly of it as a practical tool. Especially the light weight is appealing compared to my issued service rifle which has a milled receiver and heavy barrel.

Anyone who says the SKS or milled receivers in general are objectively better than stamped AKs is coping hard or experienced only through Wikipedia. It’s more about personal preference and purpose of the rifle. If you want an SKS go for it. It might very well be better for you.

The SKS and AK47 were developed practically hand-in-hand. The idea was that the AK would substitute submachine guns in service, and the SKS would substitute rifles.

The Russians soon realized the AK can do both so the SKS was relegated to parade use.

They wanted to make the AK stamped all along but ran into technological problems they couldn’t solve at the time so they went for a milled receiver for the time being. After they developed the stamped receiver further, they adopted it and a few other improvements as the AKM and never looked back.

Stamped vs. milled doesn’t define the accuracy or durability of the rifle. Milled ones can be inaccurate and stamped ones can be accurate – for an AK. The 5.56 and 5.45 calibers are usually more accurate than 7.62x39 no matter which receiver they have.

I’ve had a genuine Izmash Saiga M3 Exp-01B (essentially an AK103 without a folding stock and a middle position for the lever on the right) for 20 years and I think very highly of it as a practical tool. Especially the light weight is appealing compared to my issued service rifle which has a milled receiver and heavy barrel.

Anyone who says the SKS or milled receivers in general are objectively better than stamped AKs is coping hard or experienced only through Wikipedia. It’s more about personal preference and purpose of the rifle. If you want an SKS go for it. It might very well be better for you.
It sounds to me like you quoted Wikipedia through most of your post. Ill take anything milled over anything stamped any day but to each their own. I stand by what I said.

There’s a 101 ways to see the value in this trade. Have to find what u like best. Money wise not worth it probably if 04 is in decent shape. I have a BP 12 and it’s a blast to shoot with. I’m an AR guy. But AK/SKS are good guns. Both on cheaper end of ammo prices. Or if u want arms without the man knowing it’s good. But I would get numbers ran if u have a friend in LE.

It sounds to me like you quoted Wikipedia through most of your post. Ill take anything milled over anything stamped any day but to each their own. I stand by what I said.
Found a friend of copium, I see.

Feelings are hurt every time someone says that the choice between milled and stamped is about preference – neither is objectively better.

I would advise to understand the legality of the guns and the transfer laws for your location.

Make sure both guns are legal for where you live. For instance, some of the SKS models are legal in Cali others are not. The BP-12 would not be based on features. Each state is different. Ask questions and get answers from a known sources.

Likewise going through and FFL is not required in all states, for private party transfers. Some states allow face to face transactions with no paper work... although that's getting a lot of questions these days. The FFL can't guarantee the gun is NOT stolen they cannot do serial number look ups. They only do the paper work which, in most states, includes a background check for you. The serial number might be added to the paper work. It's a mater of someone/something in the system flagging it if it's a problem. Again it's highly location dependent. If they are doing NICS check only, there is no reference to any stolen gun database that I know of? It's a criminal background check for the buyer only.

As for the guns, they are pretty in expensive. You're talking about $1K new. Used they might be $600 range. So I suspect this guy is looking for a good deal.

So how bad do you want it out of your driveway?

Back