Not starting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl75

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've just cleaned up and dusted the cob webs off my ansmann vapour 1/8 scale car but I'm having trouble starting it.
All fuel lines are new fuel is new , I'm using 16% nitro as found it ran well on that before now I'm having trouble starting it. It's been a while since I've had a good bashing session on it as nought it as a fixer upper lol..... but now looks like new. I've just put a new glow plug in its a n5 so not sure if it's that causing it to not run.... I do have a new glow starter on order.... trying to get it sorted before the weekend so I can go bashing lol..... thanks in advance for the help....

I've just cleaned up and dusted the cob webs off my ansmann vapour 1/8 scale car but I'm having trouble starting it.
All fuel lines are new fuel is new , I'm using 16% nitro as found it ran well on that before now I'm having trouble starting it. It's been a while since I've had a good bashing session on it as nought it as a fixer upper lol..... but now looks like new. I've just put a new glow plug in its a n5 so not sure if it's that causing it to not run.... I do have a new glow starter on order.... trying to get it sorted before the weekend so I can go bashing lol..... thanks in advance for the help.... it's running a bigger 28 engine but that was running fine...

That N5 glow plug may be a little too cold for 16% Nitro. I use 20% in all my Nitro's and I've had good results with N3 plugs. I like them better than a couple N4 plugs I've tried in the past.

20% is the minimum percentage you'll want to use for surface nitro engines. I would check the glow plug just to be sure it's ok at this point too. Buy yourself a fresh jug of fuel with a good oil content, flush out the old stuff and see how it does. You may find that with increasing the % that the needles need some tuning but thats where I would start.
Good luck!

20% is the minimum percentage you'll want to use for surface nitro engines. I would check the glow plug just to be sure it's ok at this point too. Buy yourself a fresh jug of fuel with a good oil content, flush out the old stuff and see how it does. You may find that with increasing the % that the needles need some tuning but thats where I would start.
Good luck!
Thanks Mike I'll give it s go. I will condone the weekend and sort some new fuel...

That N5 glow plug may be a little too cold for 16% Nitro. I use 20% in all my Nitro's and I've had good results with N3 plugs. I like them better than a couple N4 plugs I've tried in the past.
Hi water trucker thanks for the reply I will give this a try.... just itching to get bashing lol.

Do make sure that your new igniter has a full charge (or fresh batteries) as well. Having a couple new plugs (that are suited for you weather conditions) will likely be helpful as well. They are a cheap investment. Best of luck! Let us know how you make out!

Do make sure that your new igniter has a full charge (or fresh batteries) as well. Having a couple new plugs (that are suited for you weather conditions) will likely be helpful as well. They are a cheap investment. Best of luck! Let us know how you make out!
Yeah I'm going to get a new one and a couple n3 glow plugs.... hope that works lol..... not too cold here at the moment so I think this should work.

Ok. I just stress the 'FULL charge' because I have seen a number of folks post without any clue as to why they couldn't get running. Everything is 100% done yet they couldn't fire only to find it was a weak charge on the igniter. Its a frustrating thing to have happen/overlook. ;)

Ok. I just stress the 'FULL charge' because I have seen a number of folks post without any clue as to why they couldn't get running. Everything is 100% done yet they couldn't fire only to find it was a weak charge on the igniter. Its a frustrating thing to have happen/overlook. ;)
Yeah I've fully charged it and when I tried a glow plug in it it flickered so I'm positive that the glow started is gone belly up....... it's just frustrating as I've spent a bit of time sorting it out as I had to buy drive shafts and new shell front bumper and odds and ends for it for my glow starter to stop me lol.... should have know it wouldn't be as simple as clean it , fix it bash around with it...

Eh, really if all the issues are down to some fuel, a glow plug and an igniter, you haven't done too bad. I have seen a LOT worse!!! See how things go for you here and let us know... Hopefully you'll be off and running. If nit, I do have more ideas but there's no need to take it further unless you need to. One way or another, what you're doing so far is required to get moving in the right direction imo. I would do the same if I were in your position.

Eh, really if all the issues are down to some fuel, a glow plug and an igniter, you haven't done too bad. I have seen a LOT worse!!! See how things go for you here and let us know... Hopefully you'll be off and running. If nit, I do have more ideas but there's no need to take it further unless you need to. One way or another, what you're doing so far is required to get moving in the right direction imo. I would do the same if I were in your position.
Thanks Mike you've been most help full.... I'll try take a couple pics of my fresh finished car lol

I am working on my revo (finally). It needed some transmission parts which has actually turned into somewhat of a nightmare. The stock bearings are giving me a hard time. They are cheap and the poor quality is showing. Anyways, just from sitting, I have to do a number of other things as well. I hadn't taken the time to train things etc. I wasn't planning on it taking so much time. Now I have to take the tank out and clean it, new fuel lines, and I MAY have to pull the engine apart to clean it out. When these cars sit, time take a toll for sure!

I'd love to see it! Videos are even better if you can manage! Certainly no problem, glad I could help. I only ask that you pay it forward here when you can help someone with their issues. There's lots of good folks on this site. I feel lucky to be a part of it here.:D

m
20170427_180048.jpg
I am working on my revo (finally). It needed some transmission parts which has actually turned into somewhat of a nightmare. The stock bearings are giving me a hard time. They are cheap and the poor quality is showing. Anyways, just from sitting, I have to do a number of other things as well. I hadn't taken the time to train things etc. I wasn't planning on it taking so much time. Now I have to take the tank out and clean it, new fuel lines, and I MAY have to pull the engine apart to clean it out. When these cars sit, time take a toll for sure!

I'd love to see it! Videos are even better if you can manage! Certainly no problem, glad I could help. I only ask that you pay it forward here when you can help someone with their issues. There's lots of good folks on this site. I feel lucky to be a part of it here.:D
So far on the car I've stripped the engine cleaned and put it all back together new fuel lines and fuel new plugs new shell new wheels and tyres. I only bought it as a bit of fun lol....

20170427_180125.jpg

m
20170427_180048.jpg

So far on the car I've stripped the engine cleaned and put it all back together new fuel lines and fuel new plugs new shell new wheels and tyres. I only bought it as a bit of fun lol....

20170427_180125.jpg
My bit of fun so far lol....

J
m
20170427_180048.jpg

20170427_180125.jpg

St need a new exhaust as that one looks terrible...

m
20170427_180048.jpg

20170427_180125.jpg

J

I'm more than willing to help someone out if and when I can..... might need a few months of tinkering and bashing repairing and sorting to get the grasp of it lol....

Attachments

• 20170427_180054.jpg
    20170427_180054.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 173
I like the green cooling head. That's cool!

Wow! That's SUPER clean!!! Nice job!!!! One thing I need to point out tho... The muffler!!! The sent may seem irrelevant... It is not unfortunately. The way the exhaust works on these is that there is a 'pulse' generated by the shape and design or the muffler. It causes reverb at a specific frequency. That is used as both back pressure as well as thru the hose that runs from the muffler back to your tank. To get you running, it is likely that you won't have any problems. When you get it dialed in and running proper, you will likely notice that it is not reaching its potential. It's at this point that you need to make a decision as to whether the exhaust is impeding your performance and if you want to live with that or not. Personally, it would drive me crazy to know that I CAN get better performance with a new pipe. Therefore, it would be too of the 'need to have' list!
Be sure to check over your air filter as well, just to make sure that you have no holes etc. It's difficult to tell on the screen on my phone but there appears to be a little piece missing. I would address that asap as well. Just a little diet goes a LONG way towards destroying and engine!
When you stripped the engine, did you seal it?
Now that my nit-picking is done, that rig really looks great!!! :thumbs-up:

mView attachment 19444

View attachment 19446

J

I'm more than willing to help someone out if and when I can..... might need a few months of tinkering and bashing repairing and sorting to get the grasp of it lol....

\Lol.... that pipe looks like an old copper still!.....:D

It's Def cool looking! It MIGHT even work right or better than stock shape! :hehe: time will tell on that one!

I wonder if rc4wd has made a scale still yet???!!! :hehe: :wasted: If it's done right, you could even run the cars on some high powered shine!!! :celebrate::bowtothercnt:

Yrah its on my to do list tje exhaust.... but i like the look of it its pretty cool I've not seen another one like it but if it's not working right the it'll have to go.....Now that's a thought running a nitro car on some 150% proof shine lol.....

A little for the car, a little for the driver o_O, a little for the car, a little MORE for the driver... :bored: A little MORE for the driver...:brb:...:dead:

A little for the car, a little for the driver o_O, a little for the car, a little MORE for the driver... :bored: A little MORE for the driver...:brb:...:dead:
I like it now were talking...... I think it would turn in to a messy racing day but wow it would be so much fun