Nitro star F4.6 big block engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zdragon71

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Just curious if anyones had any experience with this engine. The hpi trophy buggy i bought came with the F3.5 .21 and it took a crap within the first 1/4 gallon or less of fuel. Hpi replaced the engine under warranty with a F4.6 .28. I'm happy so far but only ran two tanks past breakin. Its not the purple head that comes in the savage but the grey head engine that comes stock in the trophy truggy and the 4.6 pulse buggy. What are your opinions on this mill as far as performance and durability or lifespan so to speak with holding a good tune on it? Thanks in advance for any replys.

The K4.6 is the purple one the F4.6 is the grey one. From what I read the K4.6 is the better of two. I've heard mixed things about F4.6 but I have no personal experience.

I had a F4.6 in my ansmann kryptonite

overall its a good even though my one was treated bad by its previous owner so it did not last long while i had it,
It did run well started easily and held a tune very its easy to tune its not the fastest sorta lacks on top end but has lots of torque on the low end.

its the exact same engine as the AR FORCE .28 and the ofna Force .28 so if you need parts there pretty cheap if you get the ofna parts IE £10 for a crank case £52 for a piston & sleeve.

you will need to use heavy clutch springs for it and its best run on 25 - 30% nitro i ran my engine on 20% so part of the reason it did not last long also U will need to use a medium hot to hot glow plug for it.

They hold a very good tune, and while not the most powerful engine for the savage, It should be more than enough power for your needs.

Thanks guys. I just finished up the last of my odonnells 20% and now i have sidewinder 30% pro blend to run in it and also i have several new medium plugs. So far the engine does just what you all stated. It fires up within the first couple pulls and have not had to retune it for the past 3 days. Of course the weather has been really nice and dry here this past week with no drastic changes in humidity. As far as performance goes on the buggy it it very good low mid and top end. Good high rpm at top so if it does any better with 30% i will be pleased. Thanks again for your input guys. You have been helpful as always.

I have the k star it is a very easy engine to tune pretty good on power as well it was hard to break in because tolerances were very tight had to heat engine before every start

Just curious if anyones had any experience with this engine. The hpi trophy buggy i bought came with the F3.5 .21 and it took a crap within the first 1/4 gallon or less of fuel. Hpi replaced the engine under warranty with a F4.6 .28. I'm happy so far but only ran two tanks past breakin. Its not the purple head that comes in the savage but the grey head engine that comes stock in the trophy truggy and the 4.6 pulse buggy. What are your opinions on this mill as far as performance and durability or lifespan so to speak with holding a good tune on it? Thanks in advance for any replys.
I have 2 trophy truggys 1has f4.6 other a k5.9 now once the k warmed up it wheelies my trophy but its a p.i.t.a to keep tuned and start better with rota start. The f engine easy to tune n start but not as fast as my xtm .28 but good low end torque n accel reliable if maintained :)

the f 4.6 comes with a grey or purple head, not matter, its a great strong, powerful engine, youll have no worries with power and speed with that if broken in right, people always have to state "the grass is always greener" and i hate that, i ran my f 4.6 on 20% all its life, had bags of power and top end, 20% maybe 25% is the best to run in it, very very good engine and lasted me for years, still going strong too tho retired due to an lrp up grade

The F3.5 in my trophy 3.5 has held up well, it's very battered but runs great :)

This thread is like 2.5 years old...Its probably kinda moot at this point.

it dont matter how old the thread is, any info added will be of some use to someone, its all good

(4.6 in the trophy truggy) one of the best engines I've owned, it's a beast on the bottom, mid, and top and that's hard to find! Holds a tune! Easy to tune, can't go wrong! I wanna replace mines with a Lrp engine, only because I'm power greedy but I'm worried it won't perform the same. Maybe a LRP zr .30x but I'd be mad as hell if it lacked on mid it top it didn't hold a tune, our maybe mid tank leaned on me

(4.6 in the trophy truggy) one of the best engines I've owned, it's a beast on the bottom, mid, and top and that's hard to find! Holds a tune! Easy to tune, can't go wrong! I wanna replace mines with a Lrp engine, only because I'm power greedy but I'm worried it won't perform the same. Maybe a LRP zr .30x but I'd be mad as hell if it lacked on mid it top it didn't hold a tune, our maybe mid tank leaned on me
Nice to know you've had good experiences with one :)[/QUOTE]