Nitro motor question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, a bit new to nitro. I have a HPI Trophy, it has been running sweet for a litre of 20% fuel. It stopped one day after a roll over(2nd tank of new brand of 20% fuel) and was then hard to start, needed throttle and wouldn't idle. Return line(from exhaust to tank) had been chewed up). I fixed this and it still won't idle. Will run with throttle up a bit. Haven't changed the tune, what should I try first?

Hi everyone, I've been driving my HPI Trophy since Christmas with everything running great. Starts within a few pulls, runs till the tanks empty etc. I bought a different brand of fuel 2 tanks ago and noticed very little difference, maybe a little more smoke, but not excessive. Had a roll over and the car wouldn't start. After a bit of sweating it started but only with the throttle on. No good, so after a closer inspection, saw that the line from the exhaust to the tank was chewed up. I fixed this and now it starts with the trim on but stops when braking.... I didn't want to change the tune, as it was working fine. Is there other parts to check first?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the wheels off the ground to check but I couldn't get it to run under about 1/4 throttle.

Thank you, after fiddling with things I knew I shouldn't, I pulled the motor out and found the clutch spring with only 1 hooked end...
Glad you got it fixed, usually issues like this are clutch related :)

How do you check the clutch? I have a .18 pro bx engine. My car accelerates when it's given throttle and maybe the throttle sticks or something to do with the clutch perhaps...

How do you check the clutch? I have a .18 pro bx engine. My car accelerates when it's given throttle and maybe the throttle sticks or something to do with the clutch perhaps...
The clutch hides in the bell housing attached to the little gear, on the output shaft of your motor. Take that bell off, usually a screw in the middle of the gear. My clutch has 2 shoes and a spring around the outside holding them together.

Thanks. When my son lays down to take his nap today I'm going to remove the engine, and check it out. I'll include pictures later. Much appreciated.

Thanks. When my son lays down to take his nap today I'm going to remove the engine, and check it out. I'll include pictures later. Much appreciated.
Keep us posted. :)

Back