Nitro Engine/Vehicle Identification Help ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CecilB

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,

Grabbed hold of this Nitro Today, I am not 100% on what it is but it does have some clear markings on the Engine.

I think the "Vehicle" itself is a Hobao Hyper 7 (Old model) ? but not sure but the "Engine" has a clear 3.5 on it and a branding mark which I can't find anywhere, also the Cooling Cylinder Head has "HPI Nitro Star 21 B2" I think, Maybe the engine is modified with a different Cylinder Head but I'm sure you guys can help me out here.

I hope the pictures will help and speak a thousand words and fingers crossed for any replies with help it will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Looks like maybe an HPI 3.5. Which would be a .21. Could it be an early TB? I'll go look at some HPI Trophy buggies see if I can tell.

Are there any markings on the top of the chassis plate? Could even be an older Hot Bodies buggy.

Last edited:
That's a Ofna force 21 engine! not sure what the buggy is an don't know if it came stock with that engine.
If someone changed the head then it maybe possible that they could have changed the engine aswell.

Force 21! That's what I was trying to figure with the F on there! Good call Mister!

Which very well could mean its a Hobao.

Ofna made so many different buggys through the years it would make your head spin!
The only ones that would know ,is the ones who had them or know about them when they
cam out.

That canted servo mounting I'd think would be a good tell, but the only buggy I ever had was a CEN.

Guys, many thanks for the info but we have cracked it and many thanks for your Engine info and your spot on.
After searching the web for a while, I've found it :).

Vehicle = GV (Great Vigor) Rex X
Engine = Force .21 35

Seems the Australian import/export was equipped with a Force 21 engine on release, so far seems like it's not bad and built ok, I'll try get it running a little later tomorrow and see how it goes, appreciate any input here folks.

Guys, many thanks for the info but we have cracked it and many thanks for your Engine info and your spot on.
After searching the web for a while, I've found it :).

Vehicle = GV (Great Vigor) Rex X
Engine = Force .21 35

Seems the Australian import/export was equipped with a Force 21 engine on release, so far seems like it's not bad and built ok, I'll try get it running a little later tomorrow and see how it goes, appreciate any input here folks.

Good deal...get that engine cleaned up an see if its got some pop!...:thumbs-up:

Glad you figured it out! Let us know how she runs

I have a thought/Question.

In the Force 21 Manual it suggests the following for GlowPlugs
USE LONG GLOW PLUG WITHOUT IDLE BAR,
OFNA/PICCO #51007 IS RECOMMENDED

Now my question, been as this engine (Force 21) has a HPI Cylinder Head Top Half, would I still need to use a Long Glow plug ? or a normal medium/short.

I guess best way to test is pull the head off and screw the glow plug in and check if it's flush or too low ?.

What you think folks.

Thats what I'd do. Pull it off and check. I would think you'd want the short, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Will do 01:19AM here in the (not so sunny UK) lol so I'l go get some sleep and thank you all very much for your help.
My recent Nitro addiction for both me and my son currently holds the following vehicles (All running so far and in repair of others).

Elec - WLToys 1/18 buggy (My Son's -- what started me off)
Nitro - HSP Atomic Warhead 2 Speed (very nice little thing)
Nitro - FTX Carnage 18 (Also very nice)
Nitro - MMGT 3.0 (18) - Awaiting few parts
Nitro - Smartech (15) Soon a (18) (Traxxas RipOff) My Son loves it :)
Nitro - GV Rex - x (21) (As you alll now know :), will let you all know how I get on)

Good night all and many thanks again :) very much appreciated.

Well, I'm too late. Glad you've got it figured out- any more questions and we'll be happy to help :)

Back