Losi 427/Losi 454 Are the back plates interchangeble?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamshane84

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi to everyone. Let me just start by saying I'm new to the Nitro RC world and I have a HPI Savage X with Losi 454 motor that I have been fighting with for months. Was wondering if anyone knows if the back plate from a Losi 427 will fit a Losi 454 ? Trying to get away from the pull start/spin start combo. Any advice is much appreciated. Thx

Hi to everyone. Let me just start by saying I'm new to the Nitro RC world and I have a HPI Savage X with Losi 454 motor that I have been fighting with for months. Was wondering if anyone knows if the back plate from a Losi 427 will fit a Losi 454 ? Trying to get away from the pull start/spin start combo. Any advice is much appreciated. Thx

I'm not sure ,I did alitte visual an noticed that they share the same starter with the M26 ,but they may be using
a different back plate an starter shaft that goes into the motor.

Hang in there someone here may know!

Good news...I know this is a quick turn around but I finally got my answer from the Losi support hotline which is apparently also tied into Horizon Hobby . Two separate phone numbers but it sends you to the same answering system. Talked to a guy that specializes in Losi products and he said that the Losi 427 backplate and spin plate will fit the Losi 454. Everything will line up.

Good news...I know this is a quick turn around but I finally got my answer from the Losi support hotline which is apparently also tied into Horizon Hobby . Two separate phone numbers but it sends you to the same answering system. Talked to a guy that specializes in Losi products and he said that the Losi 427 backplate and spin plate will fit the Losi 454. Everything will line up.

Cool!
Yea I seen your post earlier an I freq on e-bay all the time ,an looked at some parts,the parts say that they fit
M26/454 an then some said they fit M26/427.
But I miss read your post, you said back plate ,an I thought you said starter.
But the starters said they fit those engines.
But any who ,I'm glad it worked out!....CHEERS.

I've been calling Losi for about 2 weeks now and never could devote an hour to the stated wait time. I've look through dozens of forums and websites trying to find specs with no luck. When I seen on eBay , kinda like what you said... The pull start/ spin start combo was listed for the 427 & 454. That got me to thinking that they must have the same setup. Thanks for taking the time to check into it. Really appreciate.

I've been calling Losi for about 2 weeks now and never could devote an hour to the stated wait time. I've look through dozens of forums and websites trying to find specs with no luck. When I seen on eBay , kinda like what you said... The pull start/ spin start combo was listed for the 427 & 454. That got me to thinking that they must have the same setup. Thanks for taking the time to check into it. Really appreciate.

Yea ,BUT you still don't really know!
They may interchange an fit ,but you may have to change all of the parts.
Like out-put shaft ,oneway bearing an backplate to match up to a starter...That's the real ? !
That can be costly...up to about 40 bucks considering o-way is 16 to 18 bucks ,back plate 5 to 10 ,an
the cost of starter unit ,another 20.

True. I ordered the backplate and spin start together just be sure but didn't think about the rest of it. I'll have to check into that.

Not sure if the o-way bearing is external or internal,if its external ,then it maybe easier
to change over to another type of starter unit.

It's on the inside of backplate towards the crank. I'm guessing the external one way bearings would be on the outside of backplate and internal on inside of plate?

It's on the inside of backplate towards the crank. I'm guessing the external one way bearings would be on the outside of backplate and internal on inside of plate?

Yea ,even if the backplates bolt patterns are the same ,the backplates could be different to the o-way.
I could be wrong! ,so don't take this too serious.I'm not sure.
You would have to wait until you get the parts to see if they match up.

Yea ,even if the backplates bolt patterns are the same ,the backplates could be different to the o-way.
I could be wrong! ,so don't take this too serious.I'm not sure.
You would have to wait until you get the parts to see if they match up.
When I get the parts in a see what it looks like I'll get let you know. It's been an expensive learning process so far. Had it out Sat all together with new Robinson Racing spur gear and ceramic slipper pad... Didn't tighten the spring tight enough on slipper, lost the small pin and drove the whole assembley into the gear box. New 3 speed transmission on the way now. Backed it off 1/2 a turn like it required. Still not sure how that went wrong

When I get the parts in a see what it looks like I'll get let you know. It's been an expensive learning process so far. Had it out Sat all together with new Robinson Racing spur gear and ceramic slipper pad... Didn't tighten the spring tight enough on slipper, lost the small pin and drove the whole assembley into the gear box. New 3 speed transmission on the way now. Backed it off 1/2 a turn like it required. Still not sure how that went wrong
Phone keeps jumping around and adding words I didn't mean to put in there. Meant to say I'll get back to you when I get it together and let you know how it works out.Thanks for all of the input and advice.

Last edited:

Phone keeps jumping around and adding words I didn't mean to put in there. Meant to say I'll get back to you when I get it together and let you know how it works out.Thanks for all of the input and advice.

My sister had the losi muggy with the 427 ,its been a long time ,but I think I had the o-way out
to clean it one time because it started slipping.
The o-way bearings don't like no greasy residue in them ,so they need cleaning every now& then!

My sister had the Losi muggy with the 427 ,its been a long time ,but I think I had the o-way out
to clean it one time because it started slipping.
The o-way bearings don't like no greasy residue in them ,so they need cleaning every now& then!
I'll keep that in mind. I need to pull it apart anyways. I'll be sure to keep an eye on that.

image.jpeg
I use this pull start/back plate combo on the 454.

B
View attachment 17606 I use this pull start/back plate combo on the 454.
Is it a pretty strong setup? I've had bad luck with pull starts so far. The cords keep breaking inside of the spool on me. I've heard Lrp makes a pretty good product though.

View attachment 17606 I use this pull start/back plate combo on the 454.
Is it a pretty strong setup? I heard Lrp makes a pretty good products. I've had bad luck so far with the pull starts. At least the Losi pull starts anyways.

B
Is it a pretty strong setup? I've had bad luck with pull starts so far. The cords keep breaking inside of the spool on me. I've heard Lrp makes a pretty good product though.

Is it a pretty strong setup? I heard Lrp makes a pretty good products. I've had bad luck so far with the pull starts. At least the Losi pull starts anyways.
Phone screwed up again and didn't realize it went through the 1st time. That's why it's up there twice

Last edited:
It's way better than that Roto/pull start combo one. But it's still a pull start ;)

It's way better than that Roto/pull start combo one. But it's still a pull start ;)
Appreciate the advice. Think I may try that if the straight spin start give me trouble

Just getting back
I'm not sure ,I did alitte visual an noticed that they share the same starter with the M26 ,but they may be using
a different back plate an starter shaft that goes into the motor.

Hang in there someone here may know!

Just getting back
Update: The Backplate and spin start for Losi 427 fit perfectly on my Losi 454. Also, the hex drive lined up perfect when I dropped the 454 into my Savage X. Had to order another starter shaft just for the small spring that sets between the spin start and backplate.

image.jpeg

That's good to hear. There's nothing better than when every thing fits perfectly without having to fight with it. Have some fun out there!

Back