just put new piston and sleeve in my tmaxx won't start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpdonaldson

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Sup guys I just put a new piston and sleeve in my 3.3 and I can't get it to crank. Plus it gets real hard to turn wheb it hits the top any suggestions? I'd appreciate it thanks guys

Are you sure they are installed correctly? Also that's what the purpose of the new piston and sleeve is to get the compression back. You have to break it in again also

Yea I printed a layout and instructions to rebuild the 3.3 I jus did the piston/sleevebut I put the g clip side on the piston towards the carb made sure to use a new g clip all guideline base stuff but my the previous inner workings had no compression and I was told the engine was worn out so that's the reason for replacing

Heat that puppy up with a hairdryer or heat gun. It will relieve some of the pinch and make it easier to turn and it will start easier.

Cool ill give that a shot thanks brotha

Warm it up real good for at least the first half gallon of use.

Speaking from experience try holding the throttle half open while starting if it runs like that then you may have your piston in backwards... did it on an old 2.5 and I couldn't for the life of me figure it out

if you look into your exhaust hole while the piston is at TDC and there is a whole your piston needs to be turned around. If the port is closed off at TDC then it is in right

I'm sure if you put the conrod in around the wrong way it can cause issues for starting and running

Putting the piston in backwards will cause starting and running problems, putting just the rod in backwards will cause it to wear pre-maturely.

The rod can be put in backwards? Did not know that

Yep, there is a small oil hole in the bottom of the rod. For proper lubrication the hole needs to be installed on the piston on the side with the cutout portion of the piston skirt. Then both the piston cutout and oil hole should face toward the front/carb side of the engine when installed.

Well now I can't seemb to get the sleeve out which in turn means I can't get the piston

get the piston to BDC and put a zip tie through the exhaust port and turn the engine over by hand, this will force the sleeve up.

Yep, there is a small oil hole in the bottom of the rod. For proper lubrication the hole needs to be installed on the piston on the side with the cutout portion of the piston skirt. Then both the piston cutout and oil hole should face toward the front/carb side of the engine when installed.

:whhooo: You know i never even knew that lil hole was there until i read this and looked at the piston i have on my key ring lol deff good to know

Got the conrod in there and turned around correctly the piston heads in right everythings installed correctly but it still seems almost locked up at tdc I gotta use some force to get it to turn after that any suggestions?

Preheat the engine, you can use a heat gun or even a hair dryer.

+1 on both of those also be sure not to have to much fuel in the case when trying to crank it that will also make it harder to turn over

+1 it's most likely flooded, so take the plug out and flip it over while cranking the engine. You may want to put a paper towel in there to avoid making a mess.

Back