Jato 3.3 Basher/Off-Road Racer, Engine swap or not

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

What to do

• Build the 3.3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy the LRP

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Just be happy with what you have.

• Other

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonteLives42

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Nice, Thanks for reading. So I'm new to the site and new to the RC world, but I've always been a builder and mechanically inclined. For me to jump right in and build want I and my friends think is an awesome car wasn't to hard, with some help from the internet. So I have a pretty nice little Jato right now. It has the stock 3.3 .20 Traxxas engine with a stock carb and exhaust. I put an HR 19T bell gear with a 56T Integy spur gear on it, Integy air filter, wide aluminum front bumper, aluminum steering blocks, front casters, rear axle carrier hubs, and steering bellcrank, and I also put on a full set of Integy piggy back shocks, with 40w oil all the way around. Finnally after finding out I wasn't getting enough grip with the Duratrax Six Pack ST, I finished the current build with Proline Trencher. Now when I got the truck it was actually used but the guy rebuilt the motor, and put many other new part on it, including all the exo carbon-fiber plastics and aluminum turnbuckles. For the future I will be getting RPM A-Arms, and as the bend and break I will convert back to steel turnbuckles, the aluminums don't last. Also I'm going to put a heavier weight oil in the rear shocks consider all weight shifts back there on take off. I might also get the HR steel 2 speed transmission gears for it.

So the question is where to go next. Should I just be happy? Should I even try to get more power out of the 3.3? Or should double my investment and go with a big block engine? I was thinking the LRP.28R Spec 3. I like torque, and translation of power to road. Any ideas, tips, advice?

A big block would BY FAR be the best bet, if you can get it mounted. Traxxas doesn't leave a lot of room, but I've not had a Jato, so... I do know the OS21TM is a massive improvement.

I'm with Rooky. I dropped an OS .21 TM into my 4908 longbody Maxx I am still taking it easy to break it in properly but it seems to be a nice improvement as far as I can tell so far. This motor came with a much larger carb as well. I am sure that makes a big difference right there.

If your looking for more speed... a high reving 18 (OS 18TZ) or a good 21 would probably be your best bet. Easiest would be the TZ. You can find a few vids where people put those in a revo and they were a hell of an engine.

For me, I can barely control my jato with the 2.5R in it... so, your way beyond my abilities at driving already with the 3.3.

Nice, Thanks for reading. So I'm new to the site and new to the RC world, but I've always been a builder and mechanically inclined. For me to jump right in and build want I and my friends think is an awesome car wasn't to hard, with some help from the internet. So I have a pretty nice little Jato right now. It has the stock 3.3 .20 Traxxas engine with a stock carb and exhaust. I put an HR 19T bell gear with a 56T Integy spur gear on it, Integy air filter, wide aluminum front bumper, aluminum steering blocks, front casters, rear axle carrier hubs, and steering bellcrank, and I also put on a full set of Integy piggy back shocks, with 40w oil all the way around. Finnally after finding out I wasn't getting enough grip with the Duratrax Six Pack ST, I finished the current build with Proline Trencher. Now when I got the truck it was actually used but the guy rebuilt the motor, and put many other new part on it, including all the exo carbon-fiber plastics and aluminum turnbuckles. For the future I will be getting RPM A-Arms, and as the bend and break I will convert back to steel turnbuckles, the aluminums don't last. Also I'm going to put a heavier weight oil in the rear shocks consider all weight shifts back there on take off. I might also get the HR steel 2 speed transmission gears for it.

So the question is where to go next. Should I just be happy? Should I even try to get more power out of the 3.3? Or should double my investment and go with a big block engine? I was thinking the LRP.28R Spec 3. I like torque, and translation of power to road. Any ideas, tips, advice?
Get a Buku clutch. That will make a big difference. Just my opinion...

I have a pretty much box stock Jato. As far as I run it, bashing, no track, I agree that the high rpm's and the speed is where it's at with this truck. I haven't done any damage to the gearing but I have destroyed the gearing in my revo which has very similar gearing. If you're going to go for more torque, I would recommend stepping up the gears with stronger units wherever possible. As I haven't changed anything with mine, I don't have a good suggestion as far as who to use but I know they are out there. For whatever it's worth, my jato SCREAMS stock. I am happy with the 3.3 for now anyways. Good luck! Whatever you do end up doing, I'd love to know. Please post as you go... I'd love to know for my own reference later on.

Back