i started to convert nitro rustler to electric.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batmanninja

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so i think i am done with nitro. as this will be my 3rd conversion on a nitro that was giving me nothing but problems. ill post some more pics as it porgresses if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 20180213_160841.jpg
    20180213_160841.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 1,321
  • 20180213_200801.jpg
    20180213_200801.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 866
well right now i have a brushed setup sitting in my parts box that i was gonna put in there maybe a small pinion like 13 tooth and i was gonna run my nimh batterys just to get it started, they been sitting around not getting used. i converted 2 other nitros to brushless and used the goolrc setup with 3s lipo and they run great. i probably would go with that in the future.

so far...too much...too little...not enough??? maybe i am going a little overboard but this is all parts i have laying around not doing anything.

Attachments

• 20180214_201202.jpg
    20180214_201202.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 575
  • 20180214_201148.jpg
    20180214_201148.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 594
WHAT THE HELL DID I BUILD!!!!!!!!!
20t brushed motor. 12tooth pinion 75tooth spur. cheap 8.4v brushed esc i dont even know what amp rating might be. i had some 1/8 big wheels and tires that i had to mount backwards and grind some of the spokes off cause they were rubbing on the knuckle. when i hit the throttle the slipper clutch screams like crazy. but it moves...not fast at all but i think this will be fun to cruise real slow like.

Attachments

• 20180215_193846.jpg
    20180215_193846.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 20180215_193839.jpg
    20180215_193839.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 507
  • 20180215_193917.jpg
    20180215_193917.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 619
Personally, I'd try to find a way to tie the front to the rear with L stock or box stock to give you some strength in the middle. I have a feeling that thing will fold up on you if you jump it much.

When I converted my jato, I bought a kit off ebay from a guy in Greece. It came with a nice thick CNC'd motor mount that added some rigidity to the center/rear of the chassis and a thick delrin middle plate to strap the battery to and mount the esc/receiver to which bolted to the chassis in 4 or 5 places. It added quite a bit of strength between the motor mount and front.. I also added a bar between the rear shock tower and front clip, but that was mostly to help keep the rear shock tower from snapping off every time I landed on the rear. Looks totally hack, but I haven't broken a shock tower since I put it on. Broke one, two weekends in a row before that. I jump the snot out of that thing.

2017-0605-Jato-TBoneFrontBumper-top.jpg

ya i kinda thought the same thing when i started to cut it up. i probablly will make some kind of bracket for it. but its got such a high gear and i will only be running 7.4v nimh i probablly will not be jumping it or anything. its kinda just for show. I'm trying to find like a monster truck body to put on it and just cruise it around

I don't have mine geared too high. I think it tops out around 40mph. I strapped an old garmin to it last summer to see. It, my stampede 4x4 and brushless revo all top out around 40mph. I only run 2S on my jato and stampede with 2x2s on my savage flux and revo.

does anyone know where to find a 1/10 suburban clear body i can't find one anywhere i looked on the interwebs

i found some 3/8 plastic rod that i screwed through where the original body posts were and then threaded a nut on top. hot glue some high power magnets underneath the hood and it holds really good. i mounted the original body posts to the rear shock tower and they hold on the bumper

Attachments

• 20180415_104942.jpg
    20180415_104942.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 284
so i think i am done with nitro. as this will be my 3rd conversion on a nitro that was giving me nothing but problems. ill post some more pics as it porgresses if anyone is interested.
Well I’m giving it a shot. Nitro Rustler to electric. It was pretty darn easy as long as it works!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

What's that spring body mount thing? That's kind of neat!
It aluminum front shock mount body mount from eBay. Made by Atomic. I think Integy makes one too. Or maybe that one is Integy.

Personally, I'd try to find a way to tie the front to the rear with L stock or box stock to give you some strength in the middle. I have a feeling that thing will fold up on you if you jump it much.

When I converted my jato, I bought a kit off ebay from a guy in Greece. It came with a nice thick CNC'd motor mount that added some rigidity to the center/rear of the chassis and a thick delrin middle plate to strap the battery to and mount the esc/receiver to which bolted to the chassis in 4 or 5 places. It added quite a bit of strength between the motor mount and front.. I also added a bar between the rear shock tower and front clip, but that was mostly to help keep the rear shock tower from snapping off every time I landed on the rear. Looks totally hack, but I haven't broken a shock tower since I put it on. Broke one, two weekends in a row before that. I jump the snot out of that thing.

2017-0605-Jato-TBoneFrontBumper-top.jpg
This is the chasis I made for my electric conversion. Stronger and two batteries fit.
58626D55-8BE3-44B3-ABD9-078CFDD5E102.jpeg

Do you run two packs in parallel or series? Looks really nice!

I tried 4S on my eJato a few weeks ago... the thing was undrivable offroad at those speeds. lol! I made it about 5 minutes, launched it off a jump and came down hard on the rear which shattered my rear shock tower. I fixed it and will likely stick with 3S on it now.

The latest thing I did was put a truck body on it as my jato body was destroyed. Looks kind of goofy in the photo, but looks less so in person.
2021-0507-eJato-TruckBodyMounts-side-bodyOn.jpg

Had to get creative with body mounts:
2021-0507-eJato-TruckBodyMounts-side-high.jpg

Something you may want to consider also is a way to keep your lipos from sliding front to back. Especially backward cuz on that one side if you lipo goes backward its going to get chewed up in the gears. GJ overall though. I like it :)
They don’t move backwards much at all. Forward yes but only after a really hard crash.

Back