I need your help with the transmission

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdellaK

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm building a drift car for myself, but I don't know how to do the transmission issue. The engine of my vehicle is Toyan Engine L200. Do you recommend a gearbox for drifting? What do you think about driving my car with rear wheel drive?

most of the drift cars I've seen run dont have a 3 pound nitro motor and are 4 wd.
Kinda true but my new build I’m doing is converted to 2 wheel drive with lead weights for counter balance. But yes nitro will be heave and hard to balance the weight through the car unless it’s a front engine like the TRAT is and it will drift pretty good and also good in the dirt as well. But most drift cars use electric for weight and easy to get nice snaps with throttle response depending what motor you use.

My new build is 21T front engine..

I'm building a drift car for myself, but I don't know how to do the transmission issue. The engine of my vehicle is Toyan Engine L200. Do you recommend a gearbox for drifting? What do you think about driving my car with rear wheel drive?

That engine is more of a show-piece designed to be a functional mini four-stroke, it does not have favorable power output characteristics for a drift car. A gearbox will be less useful for drifting because it'll give you less control over wheel speed and traction.

It can be done, but it wouldn't be particularly fast.

I think you may want to start by getting a normal nitro car going and seeing how it drifts, and how you could modify it.

I have a feeling that the project you're describing is a bit more ambitious than you realize- I too once dreamt of building a Toyan-powered onroad, (especially now that the L200 is under $200, which is amazing for what you get), but after I got past the "dream car" phase and began parting out a basic design, I realized I just wasn't going to wind up with what I was hoping for, not without substantially more effort than would have been worth it. Check out JohnnyQ90's youtube videos, he's built multiple vehicles around the Toyan engines, even their V8, and you'll see in his videos just how much work it takes to produce something that's more akin to a museum showpiece than a basher you'd take to the park for fun.

It was always a little interesting to me that RC plane four-strokes never really make the leap to surface vehicles, considering how much early nitro cars and trucks were powered by adapted plane engines. The OS FS-26C and Saito FA-30S-C are the only examples I can think of, both of which are basically "unicorn" engines now in terms of rarity and price.

Last edited:
JohnnyQ90 does some amazing things with the different nitro engines. He did a nice job showing a L200 in a rc car.
Sometimes though I think he over-engineers or over-thinks different aspects of his builds.