HPI Baja 5b, Is It Worth It?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

!jAsOfRaW!

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys,
I might get a HPI Baja 5b . But what are the differences between a Nitro-off road car and a Gas- off road car because i dont want to get a car like my savage 21 which sucks. Does the Baja take all types of petrol (gas) because i think the petrol (gas) in the United States is different to Australian petrol (gas). Will it still work with Australian petrol? Also, will the petrol last forever because with nitro everyday u let it sitting there some nitro falls to the bottom. I'm thinking of getting it from this website. (Its in Australian dollars ) Is it worth it? http://www.megahobbies.com.au/p-58-hpi-racing-baja-5b-rtr-15-gas-rc-buggy.aspx

I know that you can get one for less than $1000 (US) plus shipping. It runs on unleaded plus 2-cycle oil. I would say that you could probably let the fuel sit for no more than a couple of months. It's the same fuel mix that most people use in weed-whackers, chainsaws and dirt-bikes.

In my opinion, of course it is worth it. It is the most fun I have had with RCs. It added a whole new demension of fun to the game. It runs on unleaded gasoline (I use 91 octane) with a 25:1 mix. It doesn't last forever, but I would say after a month of sitting outside, I would replace it. The upside is, you aren't throwing away $30 every time a gallon goes bad. You could also use a little fuel stablizer maybe to prolong the life.

Jas of Raw. check our sister site.
www.hpibajaforum.com

there are MANY MANY Aussie owner/operators.

i would deal with Powerslide racing there in Oz. they have some of the best prices and carry a nearly full line of parts and upgrades if you wish.

as far as Is it worth it.
all i can say to that is

YES!!!
check the baja forum and you ll soon see why!

Would the gasoline for the Baja be more expensive than nitro because here in Australia are gasoline prices are pretty high?
Also, would the Baja be louder than Nitro cars because i have a HPI Savage 21 and thats pretty damn loud.
Thanks

gas would be cheaper. you ll need 2 liters (approx one gallon ) to get 4 or more tanks of fuel that run 45ish minutes per tank!!!

i pay 3.00/ gallon for Gas and 30.00/ gallon for NITRO. I'm sure the differance is similar.

the noise factor may or may not be greater than the nitro. That will solely depend on the exhaust you use. the stocker isnt to loud, but a DDM Dominator or TGN Race pipe or HPI pipe will Raise the noise level considerably, basically you wont hear much else!. lol
But the Mielke pipe is actually more quite than the stock can, yet produces a much longer and progressive powerband being it is a tuned pipe, not just a can exhaust.

Hmm.. Ok well i think I've been convinced to get a Baja but is the Kit or the RTR better?

It depends on whether or not you want to build it or go and play with it almost immediately. I prefer instant gratification so I've got the RTR.

if you have a high end radio to use. a good stnd size servo and can build, then the SS is a good way to go.

but the RTR is just about the same, and after you got the Bling Bug, it wont matter in the end. lol
T

I can't tell you how much the 5b is to have around the only thing i don't like about it is that you can't race it like you would 1/8 scale!!!

I've estimated from my usage, that nitro down here is about AU$60-80 a gallon. (for us aussies, its about $15/litre). petrol is close to AU$5.60 a gal, $1.40/L

you do the maths

but i always wanted to know, since the baja is offroad, and powerful, and large, will it be able to carry a person on top, if you can accommodate a seat? just a thought.

I hope that was a joke. LOL. No, it cannot carry a person. It would just smash down to the ground with the weight. It would not move.

I just took a long hard look at a FireHammer yesterday, with the body off. The almost look like small go karts, but no, they're not meant to carry anyone larger than your neighbor's cat.
You WILL be able to give a Roo a hell of a run for the money.

damn its no fun when I'm chasing down the roo from 50 yards away, i want to be in the action. another though. what happens is i stiffened up a few parts including the chassis and the springs and shocks?

i dont think ill buy one except i laughed when the idea popped in my head.

Back