How long do gas engines last?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echelon6

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
We know with nitros, they're due in for a rebuild / trash can every 6-12 gallons, just wondering how long do gas engines last? And what do you do with them after they 'expire'? Rebuild piston/sleeve or replace?

Also while on topic, overall how does a large gas car (e.g. baja) maintenance wise compare to common respectable nitro trucks like savages? I know fuel costs next to nothing for gas cars, but what about tendency of parts to break? etc

We know with nitros, they're due in for a rebuild / trash can every 6-12 gallons, just wondering how long do gas engines last? And what do you do with them after they 'expire'? Rebuild piston/sleeve or replace?

Also while on topic, overall how does a large gas car (e.g. baja) maintenance wise compare to common respectable nitro trucks like savages? I know fuel costs next to nothing for gas cars, but what about tendency of parts to break? etc

Think of the engine in a Baja 5 (or any other gasoline RC) like that of a Weed-Eater. Yes, that is basically what they are! Anyway, Weed-Eaters run forever with very little if any maintenance what so ever.

keep the air filter system clean so your air is clean, keep the bolts tight? exhaust adn cylinder as they do tend to loosen up over time, keep it well tuned and you can get 15 to 20 gallons thru it before neeing a new piston ring.

but let dirt get thru the air filter, or a loose bolt get too loose and let dirt/excessive amounts of air thru, and it caon last 1/2 a tank.

wow haha if they last forever then why does nitro even exist? :hehe:

$1000 is only marginally more than a savage/tmaxx + all the stuff people tend to buy for them. E.g. OS engine / Novarossi engine (which dies again after 8 gallons or so anyway, so another $200 for new mill), special pipe, other misc hopups etc

I mean if a gas engine is the end-of-the-line maxxed out / no further upgrades needed type thing, then $1000 is very justifiable

I'm just debating on whether its worth it to get a 1/5 for my offroad rather than a nitro... long term economics is my main concern

basically you can buy a new stock motor to drop in for 200.00 or up to 1000.00 if your motor froggy. you can rebuid a motor for around 100.00 and thats for a new topend, new gaskets, new crank bearings..... so you can rebuild these gassers for less than a sleeve/piston/conrod for a nitro costs.

only concern about going to a 1/5th offroad is room to let its legs stretch out. if you got it, you ll LOVE the big boy toys.

I'm seriously considering making the change

I've posted for sale threads selling all my nitro gear already :D

Back