how long do batteries last in electric rc cars?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmakerman48

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I'm about to buy the traxxas slash but i kindof want something i can drive all day. i have a nitro so i am used to being able to just fill the tank and go. i was thinking about maby buying a few extra packs so i can charge them as I'm using new ones. I've never owned an electric so i guess what I'm asking is how long do the battery packs last? and how long do they take to charge them?

It all depends on what packs you get, the cell number, the MAH number and so fourth

To answer your question on batteries there are a few basic things you need to know
MAH = capacity or the size of your fuel tank so to speak, the higher the number the larger the fuel tank or run time.
Number of cell = Nimh/nicd cells are 1.2 volts each and LiPo cells are 3.7 volts each,this determines how fast a motor will spin, the more cells the faster it will turn, most people run between 6 & 14 cells Nimh/nicd or 2 & 6 cells LiPo depending on the type of vehicle/motor/ESC you are running.
Then there is the Charger = The type of charger you need depends on the type of batteries you choose to run, if you plan on running electric for a while do you self a favor and invest in a decent AC/DC charger that will charge both types of batteries, like hyperion, as fas as charging you batteries goes the general rule of thumb is to charge them at 0.1amp per 100mah, so if if you had say a 5000mah battery you could charge it at 5 amps and it would take about an hour to charge.
So in your case a few quality 8 cell 5000mah batteries would give you some good long run times and speed.

www.cheapbatterypacks.com has 5000mah elite 8 cell packs with 14 gage wire and a traxxas plug for $50 each.
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/main.asp

ummm like the 3000mAh NiMH 7.2V 6-cell stick pack that it comes with it off tower hobbies http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXMY8**&P=FR

That battery would work but it will not last as long or give you the speed or run time that the battery I suggested for you.

thanks i guess, but what I'm asking is just an estimation. or just tell me how long yours last or something. i dont want or need an exact amount of time i just want to figure out if i want to buy an electric car and this is the only thing thats making me wonder if they are worth it.

Probably the battery that comes with it = 15 minutes.

thanks i guess, but what I'm asking is just an estimation. or just tell me how long yours last or something. i dont want or need an exact amount of time i just want to figure out if i want to buy an electric car and this is the only thing thats making me wonder if they are worth it.

It's really hard to give an estimation because it all depends on how you drive it, just like with a nitro if your on it all the time you will have to fill the tank sooner then if your just putting around, but if I had to estimate and you were just doing some bashing where you were doing a mix of high and low speed type stuff a 5000mah would probably last you 30 minutes each. IMO you will enjoy just being able to pop a battery in your slash and no matter what the weather is like it will just take off with no tuning needed:D

ok thanks alot abadk and ajames