Hot Bod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe weight savings are good when you are talking about replacing a metal part with carbon fiber, like a car hood for instance, but I'm curious to see the weight of a CF and Lexan body compared...

I just fail to see the point of it, the pros of it are quickly trumped by the fact that it would sit on a shelf and never actually be used for fear of damage. You say strong, yet would not throw it on a basher because it would get messed up. Light? Again, I want to see proof. I think people are obsessed with kevlar and they need to realize that the stuff isn't that expensive.

The difference in fiberglass and carbon fiber is the kevlar weave...That's basically it. Go price kevlar, by the foot, then tell me why the heck a shell costs so much.

I can buy the mentioned cf car hood, for around $230.00, and I'm sure it is much more complex in design and process. Just my two cents, not directed at anyone or anything.

Last edited:
"yet it is usually a lot lighter than the plasic or aluminum that it replaces in chassis parts, suspension"

It's not lighter than Lexan. That's why I specifically listed that it was lighter than chassis and suspension parts. The main reason it costs so much is because its popular, supply and demand. I'm not saying that the body wouldn't hold up to bashing, I'm just saying that I wouldn't want to scratch it or scuff it after spending the money on it. I guess the best way to explain it is, I'm having a custom body airbrushed for my T-Maxx and I've got hundreds in it, and I'm not going to take it out and bash it. Of course, it would hold up to a good beating, and the reason that I'm keeping it on the shelf has nothing to do with me being scared to break it, I just like to take care of stuff that I put that much money into. I'll bash the $50 body and let the $200 or $300 body look good for years to come. I've laid some carbon fiber so I know about what it costs, and I also have several carbon fiber peices on my drag car that have held up unbelievably well.

Please know that I'm not trying to be rude, but I think that you were thinking I'm a big dummy and don't know that the CF body is heavier, so I wanted to point out exactly what I said.

I must have missed that?

Last edited:
Back