Help: tmaxx 3.3 doesn't respond to remote

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hustler

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi everyone,

I've been out of the RC scene for a while(read 3-4 years). So I decided to resurrect my tmaxx and after cleaning up the engine, i have got it to start. However, when I turn on the power, the only thing that happens is a red light on the optidrive. I remember that the servos used to move a bit as soon as you turned on the unit, that's not happening either. Took it the LHS and the guys were not much help. Not sure if its the receiver (its a 3 channel)or what. I'd appreciate any help (troubleshooting steps) Also, if it does turn out to be the receiver, is there a better one to replace the stock one with? Wat are the advantages of upgraded/better receiver?

Last edited:
Are the crystalls installed/installed correctly? Seems this happens often with the traxxas rx/tx,go with a newer style 2.4ghz rx/tx there's a flysky one a lot of guys here use and like,or u can go the eBay route and find almost Amy other one u can think of

transmited from a mobile communications device

Yes, crystals are correct (both yellow). Batteries ( traxxes hump pack) are fully charged.

I would say the receiver is shot. If you choose to replace I would go with the flysky gt3b transmitter and receiver. Price is great and they are a very good product. And very affordable. :D

Sounds like possible a faulty Optidrive unit. I have a 4909 that would just go to the idle position and have no throttle response which happened on several occasions with fresh batteries in the Tx and rx. After doing away with the Optidrive and installing a failsafe the problem has not reoccurred.

What about the batteries in the radio? You didn't mention that.
BRAND NEW ALKALINES is what you should have in there.
Also, check ALL connections from the receiver pack to the servos, through the Rx.

I would say the receiver is shot. If you choose to replace I would go with the flysky gt3b transmitter and receiver. Price is great and they are a very good product. And very affordable. :D

Is there anything else that I'd need to get the fs-gt3b working with my 3.3, or is it pretty much plug and play and everything including the optidrive

---------- Post added at 1:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:25 PM ----------

What about the batteries in the radio? You didn't mention that.
BRAND NEW ALKALINES is what you should have in there.
Also, check ALL connections from the receiver pack to the servos, through the Rx.

Yep, brand new batteries in the radio. Reseated all connections in the receiver. Still no dice.

Is there anything else that I'd need to get the fs-gt3b working with my 3.3, or is it pretty much plug and play and everything including the optidrive

---------- Post added at 1:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:25 PM ----------

Yep, brand new batteries in the radio. Reseated all connections in the receiver. Still no dice.

Does not come with an optidrive,that is something only traxxas uses,do yourself a favor and remove the optidrive all together with an forward only conversion,

transmited from a mobile communications device

Well, I kinda like to have the reverse, plus the built-in fail safe it provides. Is there a non-traxxes one out there that can provide similar functionality?

will my current optidrive unit (considering it is still in working condition) work with this fs-gt3b receiver?

Ok. So replugged everything. There seems to be some servo movement now but it's not in my control. Servos seem to have a mind of there own. The accelerator isn't working. Just the steering (continues to move by itself). Could it be the battery (hump) pack needing replacement? Or do the servos need to be replaced? I see a weak green light flashing on the optidrive as well

Back